Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Pulling My HAIR OUT !!!!!! >
  • Pulling My HAIR OUT !!!!!!

• Pulling My HAIR OUT !!!!!!

Old 01-25-2013, 07:25 AM

I'd put the blocks away, and consider it "practice". Then get out some scrap fabric and practice those stars, or different ways of making an 8 pointed star ( and my personal preference is Ded Tucker's Lemoyne Star ruler from 180 designs. Works out perfectly every time!) and figure out where you went wrong. Maybe if you sent us a picture, it would help.
    Old 01-25-2013, 10:38 AM

I know how you feel. take a deep breath & spray starch it!
    Old 01-25-2013, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by deemail
    i would suggest a 'custom' frame system... frame each block separately with either a matching fabric or different for each block to complement each block's colors... use a generous 2.5 or 3 inches... then after assembling... measure all to find the smallest block (they will be different because of each star's original size before framing. After you find the smallest one, trim all other to the same size, squaring up as you go... now they will all fit together perfectly and no one will be able to see the tiny difference from block to block... This is a method i often use when i find antique or stacks of unfinished blocks... you can make everything the same size without sacrificing any of the first round of work whether it's yours or someone elses'...good luck
    This is a good idea. In the alternative, put the wonky ones aside, re-do your pattern to include simple squares and the star blocks that are good. Take the wonky ones and make the really wonky with framing and you'll end up with two quilts. Pictures would be great. We could really see what you're talking about.
    Old 01-25-2013, 11:33 AM

I would say to heavily starch and block them. If that doesn't square them up, add sashing. That will hide almost anything! Don't give up. You can do it!!!
    Old 01-25-2013, 04:51 PM

Jinny Beyer does a lot of inset seams and stars. You might find somethig on her web site.

My first attempt at stars turned out wonky, too. The problem started in the points of each star. To fix, do not sew to the end of the fabric. Instead, mark where the two seam lines intersect and only sew dot-to-dot. If you do this for both the stars and the insets, the wonk might be greatly improved.
    Old 01-25-2013, 05:30 PM

Don't pull your hair out. It probably is not as bad as you think, and even if it is it can be altered a bit. Use the suggestions given and I am sure it will be a lovely quilt.
    Old 01-25-2013, 08:17 PM

Is the problem you are having that you are cutting off your 'points' when you go to put the blocks together? If so you have to have your points 1/4 inch in from the edge to accomodate your block seam.

Have never done an inset seam with flying geese (which is what I would do with an 8 pointed star).

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl
    Not even attempting to touch inset seams yet, but keep trying you'll get the hang of it. I think harriet hardgrave has a book on it I think its the senior year volume.
    Old 01-26-2013, 02:52 AM
    Power Poster

These things do happen. I am sorry you are having this problem. Just take a breather and come back to it. It may look very different after a break.
    Old 01-26-2013, 06:19 AM

Tuck them away and work on somethingn else, then go back and try a figure out how to fix them. Time away helps sometimes, as they say cant see the trees cause of the forest.
    Old 01-28-2013, 12:21 AM

I'd forgotten about my first quilts. After many years as a UFO, I found one of my first quilts. I'd done a good job on the blocks, the color choices were so predictably a beginners choices. One of the blocks was obviously done at a different size. While looking at it, I remembered some of the resources I'd used & the people I was with at the time. I finished it, trying to be true to where I was when I started it. It's now part of my treasured memories.

So, I suggest, take a break. Consider what people have suggest on this thread. Get local help. Finish it, maybe with only 8 blocks. And later in your quilting career, look on it fondly.