Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
AARGH!!!  Found it cheaper on Craigslist after buying one! >

AARGH!!! Found it cheaper on Craigslist after buying one!

AARGH!!! Found it cheaper on Craigslist after buying one!

Old 01-30-2013, 10:53 AM

[QUOTE=Michellesews;5823080]Congratulations, you are the winner! Janome beats Pfaff hands down these days. It took me two 8K mistakes to figure that one out. The old Pfaffs, made in Germany, cannot be beat. The new Pfaffs, made since the 1990's, are not very well made and have lots of problems. Janome on the other hand, it what Pfaff USED to be. I have a Pfaff 2134 and a Janome 6500, both are workhorses. I have gotten rid of two newer Pfaffs in the last 4 years, TOL models, that were junk. My main go-to machine is now a Babylock, next the Janome and the Pfaff 2134 stays packed up to go to classes. This is my experience and my opinion, if you disagree, you have a right to your opinion...some have better experiences with different machines. Personnally, if I live to be 100, I will NEVER buy another Pfaff anything.

PS: Don't you wonder why they were selling the Pfaff on Craigs list so cheaply? Because it was a piece of junk![/QUOTE

Sorry to hear you dis Pfaffs. The Pfaff 2134 is a VERY old Pfaff, so you are NOT familiar with the Pfaffs of the last 10 or more years! I love my Pfaff 2140 which I upgraded to a 2170. I also LOVE my TOL Pfaff Creative Sensation which is definitely NOT a piece of junk. I have had it for over a year, and it does everything I expected and more. By the way - both have thread cutters. One of the greatest features of Pfaffs is their built-in IDF - Pfaffs don't need walking feet - and you can use fancy stitches with the IDF, which you an't do with most walking feet.

I keep discovering more it can do as I take classes at my dealer's. Not just 'how to use the machine' classes. My great dealer has lots of classes for people with all machines.

Last edited by JoanneS; 01-30-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:11 AM

I have a Pfaff 7550 bought used many years ago. About 2 years ago, I bought new a Janome 11000SE. I wanted the embroidery function (which I have yet to completely figure out) and I got a good price. I lent my Pfaff to my DIL. I borrowed it back when she wasn't really using it and I needed a machine in a second location. Long story made short.... I much prefer the Pfaff for piecing although not quilting. I love the built in walking foot and for me the quarter inch foot is more accurate _ I don't think the Janome foot wants to sew a 'scant' quarter inch no matter how I try. Also it must weigh about 10 pounds less. I do like the Janome, it sews very nicely (the quarter inch problem is operator error - LOL) and I love the extra space. I now understand why people may have two machines.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
I have one machine with thread cutter, one without. It would not be a deal breaker for me. Thread cutter leave about 1/2" tail and come unthreaded alot.
It would be a deal breaker for me. I admit I'm spoiled. Also the extra inch in the harp makes a big difference when you're free motion quilting.

BTW Jingle, when you have your machine serviced they can adjust it so it leaves a longer tail.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:04 PM

You have purchased the best machine. Now, think about it; the Pfaff wasn't used for a reason...get off of Craigslist and start using that wonderful Janome! I have five of them. GiGi
Old 01-30-2013, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Prissnboot View Post
I just bought a Janome 8200 for $1700 + tax a couple of weeks ago...then today I find a Pfaff Expression 3.0 on Craigslist for $800. Main differences is that the Janome has an 11" throat, the Pfaff has a 10" throat. The Janome has a thread cutter, the Pfaff does not (not such a dealbreaker, and certainly not a feature worth the $1000 savings). The Pfaff comes with all of the feet, she bought it new about 1 1/2 years ago, still has the box. I no longer have the box for the Janome as I thought I would have this machine for years and years and seriously hate keeping boxes.

My question to you is how comparable (from your experience) are these two machines? Do you prefer one over the other and if so, why?
I have the pfaff expression nuttin but trouble was very expensive to buy and repair.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:34 PM

That is a big difference in price...but I wouldn't look back either since you already made your purchase.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:02 PM

Once you buy something, STOP LOOKING! You will never be satisfied!
Old 01-30-2013, 06:07 PM

I agree.. 100%

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Like I always tell my husband after he buys something. STOP LOOKING!!!!! YOU BOUGHT ONE!!!! It just makes him crazy second guessing himself.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
This is how I feel too. After having an auto thread cutter, I don't want to go back.
Ditto for me too. I love my thread cutter.

11 inches - that would be a dream for a throat in a sewing machine.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:26 PM

I prefer the Janome but that's a personal opinion...