Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
MASSIVE shrinkage - beware >

MASSIVE shrinkage - beware

MASSIVE shrinkage - beware

Old 02-07-2013, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Let's hear it for .... the Sisterhood of the Fabric Abusers!!!

I'm in that club!!!

I have to ask another question though to the OP ... are you sure the fabric was 108" when you started???? Hmmmm ... the plot thickens!!
Old 02-07-2013, 05:24 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
I'm in that club!!!

I have to ask another question though to the OP ... are you sure the fabric was 108" when you started???? Hmmmm ... the plot thickens!!
DHMommy ... You mean you want to show your face about such?

Good thought re the original width ... I know I that generally, I do not measure regular widths, let alone widebacks before or after wash ... unless I have a specific reason to do so.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
I'm in that club!!!

No, as a matter of fact I do NOT know that it was 108" - excellent point! However, it was being sold as 108", and the wide backing listings usually say pretty specifically what size they are (I've seen them range from 104" all the way up to 118"), so I am assuming that it was pretty close to the advertised width...but maybe that is a poor assumption?

I did email Henry Glass Fabrics about the situation, to alert them to the problem. I have not heard anything back. Maybe if they reply I will find out something further about the fabric that we don't already know?

Alison
Old 02-07-2013, 05:57 PM

I'm proud to say I am a member of this sisterhood!

Get the worst case scenario out of the way! BTW, one of our cats hacked a hairball onto the bed last week: hot water but warm dryer.

I'm allergic to the dyes and chemicals in all new fabric, so pre-washing is a must. And, I say if you are going to do it, do it right the first time around.

Let's hear it for .... the Sisterhood of the Fabric Abusers!!!
Old 02-07-2013, 06:11 PM

I never wash in hot water because I won't wash quilts in hot water....all it does is draw out the dye and shrink fabrics. I do most all laundry on cold setting except for towels and whites on warm. So sorry for your dilemma.
Am not prewashing much nowadays because of all the precuts available and all they would do is fray on the edges anyways.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:23 PM

I prewash all fabrics to withstand all types of treatment. Since a lot of the quilts I make are wheelchair quilts for our local nursing home, the fabrics are usually prewashed on hot like they will be washed there. They requested STURDY quilts because of the frequent harsh washing. Some people have donated quilts that are not prewashed, loosely quilted, tied, or not quilted at all and they do not survive the constant washing and abuse they get. I prewash the flannel backings twice because of the increased shrinkage and then wash the finished quilts before they are donated. Have not used wide backing yet, but definately will handle that as I do flannel after seeing these comments.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:39 PM

It is a legitimate question. I have never heard of any kind of can of worms about this; i just did not know that people washed quilts in hot water. Most people I know advise washing them in warm or cool and on a gentle cycle if they have that option. But many people asked this beside me and I wonder why I am being a bit singled out here.

I have heard that if you buy your fabric at Joanne's that it is made with a lower thread count than other lines. I do not know this for a fact, but have been told this by several people. This could mean a weaker fabric in general.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:27 PM

That was my question!
Old 02-07-2013, 09:19 PM

I was surprised to see that anyone washed quilt fabric or quilts in hot water, but after reading all the posts it makes sense. The only thing I would hate is to have the fabric lose some of its luster and be dull from the hot water and the hot dryer. Would appreciate catching shrinkage up front.

I do know that since I got my new top loading high efficiency washer, if I don't use hot water and a double rinse on my towels they actually stink when they get wet by use. After much research on line, the consensus was that because the amount of water used has been cut back so much in these washers, that they don't effectively wash away all the detergent and grime residues. That would apply to dirty quilts as well. So probably should use hot water on the fabrics in the future.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:39 PM

aaaaaaaaaaah the old question resurfaces .... why wash in hot and dry on hot?

For me ....... the answer is ..... I abuse it as much as I can up front.
I know the shrinkage is dealt with.
I use the Colour Collectors to know the bleed status ... and re-wash or treat with retayne until that is under control.

Yes, abuse ... however, a far better feeling, knowing that I have done so, and minimize disaster AFTER I make a quilt.

I sure as H**** do NOT want to put all the work into a quilt, and then have it ruined when it is accidentally washed in hot water ......... or one fabric shrinks more/less than the other ......... or someone forgets to toss in a Colour Collector ............

That, Ladies and Gents, is why QuiltE pre-washes in HOT water ... and probably why many others do too!
Agreed! I pre-wash all fabric in hot and dry hot. Then, I wash/dry the finished quilt in hot/hot. I add a note with my quilt gifts saying " Wash - any temp. Dry - any temp." Mom's need to know that the quilt can be sanitized if necessary.