Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gray haired "old woman" and JoAnn's young sales clerk >

Gray haired "old woman" and JoAnn's young sales clerk

Gray haired "old woman" and JoAnn's young sales clerk

Old 10-31-2009, 02:50 PM

This is for Knot Sew: I'm only 56, my grandmother and my mother made clothes for a living, not working in a factory, and I know what a dressmaker ham is. It might be that you don't know what a ham is because you did work in a factory. She wasn't being rude, Joann's employees should know what merchandise is on the shelves, the shelves don't stock themselves. Lighting up enjoy life, love, laugh live!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Old 10-31-2009, 06:49 PM

Thank you for sharing your experience.
Hubby & I laughed so hard at your story.

Being from New York originally.
I went into a Deli/Bakery (1982 in Texas) seeking hard rolls.
I approached a young clerk and asked if they had any hard rolls.
To which she replied, when our rolls get hard we throw them away.

How 'bout that!!!!

Sandi
Old 11-01-2009, 11:01 AM

I've been sewing about 50 years & know what a ham is but I've never heard of quilters balogna. What is that?
Old 11-01-2009, 02:02 PM

I have to tell you --- I copied your post and sent it to my mother. She called me and asked me what a "ham" is and why this was so funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No, she never sews much.

The second thing --- I went to Joann's today...I was SO tempted to ask where the hams are....but decided against it.. :mrgreen:
Old 11-01-2009, 02:22 PM

I asked an older friend, she said it was an extra you could get along without ,my gram was very frugal..she had to support her family and self from the age 35 on...her home was spotless no carpets or TV though..she was a wonderful seamstress and i loved her sewing lessons...she was born 1884 and died in 1963 :D
Old 11-01-2009, 04:12 PM
Power Poster

As far as I can tell - the "quilter's bologna" was just a smart-aleck "wish I would have thought of that" type comment -

I don't think there is any "quilter's bologna" - but there might be - I have learned about layer cakes and jelly rolls and a couple of other food sounding things.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by scrap_lover09
lol that is funny. I am 34 and know what a ham is. The kind you sew with and the kind you eat...lol but then I have been sewing since I was 8 and started with clothing construction. I worked at jo-anns when I was in high school but back then you had better had known a good bit about sewing or you weren't getting a job there. now they just don't care. I was lucky to have home ec classes still in high school too but those were just easy A'a...lol I wonder if they even still teach home ec?
I don't know of ANY home ec classes in this area, and I would think that it should still be taught. I work for attorneys and whenever I have to deal with "downstate" firms (i.e., Detroit), they all say things like, "oh, yeah, I forgot. You guys are out in the boonie's aren't you?" We're only 1-1/2 to 2 hours north of there! Surely Detroit people think we'd have home ec programs here in "the boonies"! :wink:

What is really sad is that since sewing and basic clothing construction is NOT being taught, it makes sense that those skills are all being shipped overseas -- not just because it's cheaper for the labor, but because we don't have the skills in teh US anymore! And we're just doing it to ourselves, aren't we??

Makes me shake my head.

often...............
Old 11-01-2009, 06:23 PM
Fox

I met a Home Ec Sewing teacher a few years back. She admitted she didn't know how to sew. If a student came up with a question and she didn't know the answer to (she'd been teaching for 5 years) she'd call her mother!
Old 11-01-2009, 06:32 PM

My precious darling granddaughter is 6 & she is getting a mini sewing machine for christmas. Also another cookbook. Got her 1st one last year. Her mama now regrets that she didn't want to spend time with me learning these things. Her 2 brothers(DD) both know how to cook & can sew a button on & make emergency repairs if necessary. DGD is so eager to learn. We have lots of fun together. She's also a tomboy but that doesn't stop her. Her grammie was too. When my DD took a class in Jr. High, all she learned how to make was pigs in a blanket. If the school districts don't get on the stick & start making this class mandatory we are gonna have so many kids that all they can do is pop it in microwave & that's dinner.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:42 PM

I am new to this web site, and I did not think it was meant to put down anyone. It was just funny to read. I think I would have pulled the young gal aside and explain to her what and how it was used for and what it was what I was looking for and perhaps try and locate it with her in the store. All us seasoned sewers have a pretty good idea of where it may have been in Joann's but it doesn't hurt to get their supervisors involved. They change these stores around so often that its hard to go in and find where things are located. This was meant only as a good laugh I'm sure and we would all be respectful of this young one's desire to learn.