Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many chances do you give a LA before saying no more? >

How many chances do you give a LA before saying no more?

How many chances do you give a LA before saying no more?

Old 02-12-2013, 01:10 PM
Power Poster

Default How many chanches to give a LA

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
This is the third quilt I did not get what I asked for from the LA. The first one I asked for cotton batting, I got poly but the quilting was okay. The second one I asked for cotton batting, and green quilting thread to be used in top and bobbin. I got poly batting and white thread front and back, again the quilting was fine. The third time I sent the batting I wanted and spool of Aurifil thread 40wt of the color she could use or match the color. I got poly batting and cream color thread, quilting was fine. I asked her why she used the poly batting when I wanted cotton. She said poly was thinner and easier to work with and her classes said the customer always ask for things the LA can change. And she didn't like changing thread, it messed up the tension. Ugh!!@!!!! Now to find another LA in the area which is more like find out who bought a LA recently and put up business sign. Even the quilt shop that does LA, the quilting isn't that good, skipped stitches and too many knots on the back for what it cost. Frustrating!
I would say that strike three and she's OUT. I can't believe that she would change cotton batting for poly, after you explicitly told her you wanted the cotton batting, and especially when you provided the batting. That is just major lack of customer service, at this rate she might not be in business long - as word of mouth can be the major difference between having a successful LA business or not. I would definitely look for another LA for your quilts, as you are definitely not getting what you pay for.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:30 PM

I probably would not have given her a second chance. If a quilter wants cotton batting and gets poly, there is a problem with the LA. The one I use told me the first time I went to her that what I wanted was what she would do. That is the way it should work. Find another quilter who will do what you want. It is your top and your money!
Old 02-12-2013, 03:38 PM

I resent anyone who treats me like the village idiot by changing what I ASKED for because it was "better" - I wouldn't have gone back the second time.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:42 PM

One shot, that's all

I AM a LA and I have made suggestions to customers, but ALWAYS did what they asked (and paid for)
Old 02-12-2013, 03:43 PM

IMHO, the answer to how many chances do you give a LA before saying no more is "one." It's a waste of your time and money when you don't get what you ordered. My opinion only - not trying to persuade anyone else. Thanks.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:32 PM

that is not right at all.3 strikes and out she goes.She does not care what you want at all.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
And adding one more thing to Peggi's suggestions...ask to see samples of her work.
Oh yeah. How could I forget that one. Duh me.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:46 PM

You gave her plenty of chances. She is not professional at all, if she were she would have told you up front that she was going to use the batting SHE wanted, and she was not going to use the color thread you requested. YOU were paying her for a service, and she didn't honor your request on three different quilts-find someone else who is professional. You might have to send it to a long armer out of your area. Good luck.

Kat
Old 02-12-2013, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by patski View Post
I'd go to someone who did what I asked for or I'd learn to do it myself
There are lots on here that do fantastic jobs. I know there will be extra shipping, but you will get what you want! After the first quilt not done the way I wanted she would have not gotten any more..... We have turned into a service industry country from a manufacturing country and just like going into a store they have to please US to get our money, not us pleasing them to leave our money....
Old 02-12-2013, 07:11 PM

I would have been so upset. Especially with all the time I can spend on piecing a top to my satisfaction.

I have never used a LAQ, but I would not return to the same person who did not do as I asked. It appears she has failed to communicate with her customers or be direct about her material use in the first place. I hope you got your threads and batting back.