Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tell me why I should/shouldn't buy a Singer 401A in a beaut cabinet >

Tell me why I should/shouldn't buy a Singer 401A in a beaut cabinet

Tell me why I should/shouldn't buy a Singer 401A in a beaut cabinet

Old 10-31-2009, 06:21 PM
Power Poster

If you look up bobbins online, they usually tell you which machines the bobbins are for. Here's one I found that includes the 401A:
http://www.sew4less.com/product/7022...for_model_info

If you go to the store, the back of the bobbin card will list those machines it is suitable for.

I believe the 401 is a slant shank machine, so your walking foot and all other feet need to be slant shanks.

Don't use the Howard's Feed-N-Wax until you have first cleaned the wood. It would be the last thing to use on the wood, to finish it off. It is made of beeswax and orange oil and leaves an amazing finish.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:26 PM

GOOGLE---walking feet for singer 401---- then click on singer feet.
sometimes it is called an even feed foot.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:25 PM

Well, my son came and they brought it in. Now that there is some light on it, I notice several, possibly serious things that are not right.

There are some problems that I will not be able to fix. The stitch selector knobs are rusted and don't move. The little rubber wheel that has to be moved up to put the bobbin in place is completely worn and needs replacing.
When he demonstrated th3=e machine he pushed the knee lever and the machine moved up and down fast. When I tried it now, it absolutely grunted and barely moved.
Tomorrow is another day. After church I'll see if I can open it up and start oiling it. But I think these knobs have had it.
What do you guys think?

Gilla
Old 11-01-2009, 02:04 PM

I was told to clean old machines with machine oil...let it set soaked in oil overnight is will help a lot. I have a 401 also but will try to get mine a new home soon...to many machines not enough room to sew...good luck
Old 11-01-2009, 02:38 PM

Hey, those things should be fixable. I bought a 403 a couple of months ago and the needle wouldn't budge right or left. I was able to clean it up and get it oiled. No problems now with moving the needle.
You can get a new tire for the bobbin winder. There are several places on the web where you can order them and you might be able to buy one at your local sewing machine dealer.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Gilla
[
I am a retired teacher, now 79 years old and still teach two days a week in a senior center. I am a lung cancer survivor (4 3/4 years) and colon cancer survivor (2 years), and I am still going strong, only much slower. Anyway, I keep busy and quilting is my therapy.
Gilla
Gilla, you and I have something in common. I too, am a 69 yr-old retired teacher who is a survivior. I am a 12-yr survivor of bladder cancer and a stroke. Yep, both the same year. Your journey with this old machine makes me want to tackle the old treadle that sits in my sewing room occupying space. It has seen a lot of wear and tear, but it's turning. I just need to clean it and get it going (belt, bobbin, shuttle). The cabinet has seen some hard times, but with a lot of TLC, I'm sure it would be nice. I shudder when you say soap and water. Is that OK for the machine? I would have thought it would have taken some kind of cleaning fluid or something.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:56 PM

Try WD40. When we have screws that are rusted up, we squirt that on the screw and nut. Let it soak overnight, next day with a little pressure, boom it comes off. When my key for my car starts to stick in the door to unlock, I squirt that on the key and in the keyhole and it works like brand new. So squirt that on the knobs that are rusted up. It should help alot
Kim
Old 11-03-2009, 03:06 PM

I had a local serviceman check, clean, oil, and unfreeze my selector knobs. I am running now and it works. It is still a bit sluggish, but I think that is because it has been sitting so long and needs to be broken in again. He did a good job fixing the problems, cleaning--- well, could have been better, but it works.

I used to do all of my quilting when I had my first 401A in the late 50's and 60's. My D1 is too fast for me and takes off without me half of the time and I have been taking my quilts to a lady with a long arm. Now that I have my 401, I'll try again quilting my quilt, at least the latest one, a CW 80 x 80. Hopefully I can remember how to do it, although I have used some scraps and tried it. It worked fine.
Now if I can just get my DH to finish the cabinet. He insists he wants to glue some of the wood on the side and finish it himself. I was willing to just polish it and let it go. So now my dear cabinet sits upside down until he gets a round to it. bah=hum-bug.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:22 PM
Power Poster

So glad your service guy got the machine running! I'll bet the cabinet is gorgeous when your dh gets done with it and you get the feed-n-wax on.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:42 PM

Well, we are done. My DH finished the woodwork and I used the feed-n-wax yesterday. It turned out beautiful. Hubby put the machine back and now I am sitting back, admiring it.
I rearranged my sewing room and sorted my scraps into containers bought at the $ store. I didn't know how many scraps I had until I started getting it all organized.
My other machine, a Singer Quantum XL has also been repaired. I haven't had the room to set it up and check it out.
I now have five (5) sewing machines and I gotta get rid of at least two. But, which one??? Each has a use and my old Viking is 50 years old, taught me how to sew, and runs like a champ. How can I get rid of it? My new Viking Designer 1 is an embroidery machine that I am still trying to figure out. Then there is my Serger. Yipes! I don't use the Serger as often as I should as I have a heck of a time threading it.
Anyway, what a dilemma. Apparently I am not the only one on this list with the problem of too many sewing machines and not enough hands.

LOL
Gilla