Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need your help ( Irish Chain) >

I need your help ( Irish Chain)

I need your help ( Irish Chain)

Old 02-13-2013, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by IBQUILTIN View Post
Just a small word of advice, Instead of trying to roll the edges of your quilt to fit under the arm, puddle it up so you have a smooth surface. I think you will find that helps a lot. Also, look at some of the tutorials here on the board, they are very helpful. Good luck with your first try.
Thanks I have been checking out some tuts I guess it all seems a little over whelming right now. Thanks again
Old 02-13-2013, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by linkd View Post
One of my first quilts was a nine patch with setting squares. I crossed the nine patches on a diagonal, stitched in the ditch and then hand quilted a very simple oak leaf outline in the setting squares. The hand quilting was way better than I was on the machine and it made an nice contrast (quilted in white/cream that matched the square)
Thanks others have mentioned the diagonal, that looks like something I might be able to do. Thanks again
Old 02-13-2013, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by MargeD View Post
I have made several Irish Chain quilts in varying sizes and I always machine quilt using a walking foot and going diagonally across the quilt, sometimes in just one direction and other times using cross hatching. I think it's a great quilt to machine quilt, particularly using straight line quilting. Hope you share the results with us on QB.
Thanks I am trying to figure out what I can handle, I like the diagonal Probably will try that. Thanks again
Old 02-13-2013, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker View Post
First off, 208 inches??? Whew!!! I love those typos. Next... I have made several Double Irish chains. I like to stitch about 1/4 to 1/2 inch away from the seam following the different colored blocks in a staircase type look. It works great and is easy to do. Plus, it makes the chain pop!
Yea I guess 208 would really be a big one. I guess I was so excited that I did that much I got carried away. It is good to be able to laugh at ones self. Thanks for you input. I did a table runner that way and I really liked it. It was my first quilting. Thanks again
Old 02-13-2013, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by twinkie View Post
I would stipple in the plain middle square. This is an Irish chain that has decorative stitching in the centers of the plain squares. I like how it turned out. I don't think there is any way that is better than another. Good luck
.[ATTACH=CONFIG]394930[/ATTACH]
WOW that is beautiful not sure I am that good. I will try it sometime thanks for the picture hope mine turns out half as good thanks for the reply
Old 02-13-2013, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Dragonomine View Post
I'm quilting (by hand) an irish chain now! I'm just putting an X through the squares and it's turning out nicely!
going to try machine quilting. I am not a good waiter. I want to see finished work now. I have a feeling if I hand quilted it I would never finish it. I really envy the hand quilted. I guess maybe I should try a small one . Thanks for your reply
Old 02-13-2013, 02:31 PM

The flowers were easy. It's much easier than going in a straight line or trying to do a perfect circle. That one got to me. Nature's flowers aren't perfect so mine don't have to be. And the echoing is just following the first flower.

I have to use my card table butted up to my dining room table to do a larger quilt with the boards, but I sure like how smooth the back is. Maybe a younger person could put the boards on the floor, but not me.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:47 PM
Power Poster

CookieLM ... As I was reading the latest posts, I was thinking that a double needle could be very effective in the open space ... an echo effect, evenly spaced because of the twin needles, all done at once.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:03 PM

I feel your pain in not having a large enough space to lay out your quilts to baste....there are several different options tho...check with local churches about using their spaces...they have big tables that you can push together...LQS may also have a space you can use...I now have a pool table (with a cover) and can spread them out on there....I use the liquid glue method to baste with glue lines 3" apart....the sandwich never shifts or puckers....it allows me to start in one corner and stitch to the opposite corner with no issues....I now quilt all mine on my 6600, even those king sized ones! So much cheaper than sending out to be LA....be sure to watch your tension on both sides, it can be a bit tricky....do a test sandwich first to be sure to get it right...way better than ripping!
Old 02-13-2013, 04:43 PM

There's no way on earth I would attempt to machine quilt a piece that large on a regular machine. I would consider it a tremendous job and sent such a quilt to a LAQ only.