Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I a meanie? >

Am I a meanie?

Am I a meanie?

Old 02-14-2013, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by quiltin-nannie View Post
I have been asked a couple times to make quilts for people. After doing a table runner for a lady I have decided I don't want to"have" to make something for someone. One lady said "you paid thousands of dollars for that machine
and you can't make me a baby quilt for my great grandaughter?" Should I feel so guilty for saying no?
just because you invested in a good machine does not obligate you to be making freebies all the time.never feel guilty about saying no to someone who is trying to take advantage of you.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by quiltin-nannie View Post
You gals are great! I'm over the not making the quilt guilt. You know, even if someone wanted to pay me $500 to make a baby quilt, I would say no. I had enough pressure running medical offices for 30 years. This is my relaxation. I make quilts because I want them for me or to give to someone special. I worked for years and couldn't wait till I could retire and do what I wanted; now I'm there and enjoying every minute. I love the feeling when I see how excited a loved one, friend or family, is to receive one of my creations. Thanks for all the support!
This is exactly my feeling about quiltmaking, or indeed, anything I do in retirement. Learning to make quilts has been therapy for me, after unexpected surgery last year. Recently my DIL wanted me to make a eyeglass lanyard holder (she makes jewelry and made the lanyards for her boss who is retiring). I made up a pattern, bought the fabric, made the thing, and she was well pleased. Then I realized she was thinking "mass production" of these lanyard holders/pouches with her supplying the lanyards. Without hesitation I said "you do realize I have no interest in making more of these? I enjoyed learning how to make this one but don't want to do this for money." No more was said.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:33 PM
Power Poster

I have had people in stores - total strangers - ask me to make quilts. At first I feel a bit guilty, then I think, it's my time and I do not know how much more I have.

As several other people have said it is a hobby, and you do not want to turn it into a job.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:37 PM

Wow how rude! If someone said that to me my response would be " since you are so concerned with how much my machine cost why don't you give me a payment on it and then you're request might be considered!"
Old 02-14-2013, 03:52 PM

I don't have the patience to go through 15 pages of replies however, I agree with the masses, very rude.

a) It's no business of theirs how much you paid for your machine.
b) Your time is worth money if you aren't spending it doing what YOU want.
c) I can't make a quilt with ugly fabric someone else chose!

I won't make a quilt for less than $300 unless it's for my Mom!
Old 02-14-2013, 04:04 PM

1st of all it's nobodys business if you paid a high price for your machine, it is for your enjoyment, not theirs. I would not feel obligated at all. Some people think they can get you to make a quilt and they expect it for free.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:09 PM
Power Poster

I made an adorable wall hanging of a sleeping teddy bear for my grand-nephew. My nephew and his wife loved it! I am making him an I Spy quilt for his birthday in December.......because I WANT to. It's fun to make things for family or friends when they have NOT asked for it. When it turns into a job it is not fun any more.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:13 PM

"you paid thousands for that car of yours--will you drive me to alaska?"

Last edited by svenskaflicka1; 02-14-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:30 PM

I bet she didn't offer any pies for free either, did she? I bet she would have said "Oh, but thats DIFFERENT". Nope , no guilt here!
Old 02-14-2013, 04:34 PM

I will do a challenging favor. Someone asked me to repair an antique convent made christening gown that accidentally got ripped. (I got it fixed)

I get asked for shirts! I manipulate fabric for shirts and some are rather unique. Since they can't be bought, I will get asked to make them. The reply is NO.