Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I? >

Should I?

Should I?

Old 02-14-2013, 10:54 AM
Power Poster

With the price of fabric, buy it, especially backing and background fabric, which goes quickly. When I find a good sale on fabric, I try to stock up on white and beige tone on tone fabrics for backgrounds, as well as backings for a quilt. The exception would be like a backing fabric deciding that it wants center stage to become the focal fabric in a new quilt. You have to listen to the fabric, right???
Old 02-14-2013, 10:57 AM

I have been on a self-imposed fabric buying moratorium since Jan 1, 2013.....but....but....but....I ran across a deal I could not pass up. LQS quality fabric (actually from a closed fabric store) in nice big chunks at a really good price. 21 yds for $83. I had to stop there but I am seriously thinking about going back for some more....a lot of neutrals.....calling to me....
Old 02-14-2013, 11:41 AM
Power Poster

If it is a rare sale and you really need some stuff...get it. Don't buy for the sake of buying... I think that is a fair compromise
Old 02-14-2013, 11:44 AM

Be prepared . Buy for your next projects just in case you are locked at home.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:50 PM

Hi Ladies! I'm peeking my head out of the vintage machines area for this...

One thing that's worth mentioning about Fabricland is that these sales happen several times a year. Why? Their prices are so jacked up that "everyone" knows that you never buy from Fabricland unless it's on sale. A really good couple of examples:

I was in a LQS today, they were having an outlet sale, I looked at their regular prices and the sale prices. (Note, I'm a new enough quilter I'm not a moratorium for fabric)

Batiks: $16 on sale for $8 if you bought more than 2m (FL price $18 - $22 and rarely on sale, and not for this sale.)
Quilt Cotton: $15 - 18 on sale for $7 or $5 for more than 2m. (FL price $18 -25)
Klutz glove: $26.99 regular price. (FL price $42)
Fons and Porter Quilting Gloves: $5.75 (FL - $8.99)
Olfa 24x36 cutting mat: $70 (FL $129.99)
Schmetz Quilting needles: $4.75 (FL price over $8.)

Sort makes it easy to see how they can have these "sales" eh? Since I became a dealer for a major supplier in Canada, I've been even more disgusted with FL now that I've seen "wholesale" prices. I still have a membership, because I can't order fabric from my supplier, but that may soon come from over the border, or the LQS, since the prices are way better.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:20 PM

I know what the selection is like at Fabricland, not great and often not worth it. If you can find DESIGNER quilting cottons at that price then go for it. DO NOT buy Fabricland brand fabrics!! They are often off grain and can not be straightened, they are the cheapest of the cheap!!
Old 02-14-2013, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Tabatha View Post
I know what the selection is like at Fabricland, not great and often not worth it. If you can find DESIGNER quilting cottons at that price then go for it. DO NOT buy Fabricland brand fabrics!! They are often off grain and can not be straightened, they are the cheapest of the cheap!!
And the last "blenders" I bought at FL didn't blend because they had an uneven dye to them. Ugh. Beige was green in some spots and red was orange, and not where I would have seen it unless I'd inspected both sides before they cut it.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
I've been on a fabric feeze since July 2012. I would break my non buying fabric streak in a heartbeat if I had this opportunity!
I've already broken my to promise to myself not to buy any fabric this year. A cute LQS is closing so the owner can return to college to pursue her dream of becoming a nurse. How could you not buy her fabrics? Have to help her, right?! I'll try to be better - maybe - next time!!
Old 02-14-2013, 07:22 PM

Never seen a sale that good. Probably a good thing because I wouldn't be able to pass up such a good deal.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:18 PM

Well I caved and bought 6 meters of fabric to make a lap quilt. Will be my next project after the quilt for my son.