Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who takes classes at Craftsy? >

Who takes classes at Craftsy?

Who takes classes at Craftsy?

Old 02-16-2013, 05:39 AM

I have signed up for several Craftsy classes and love them and have learned techniques and tips in every class. I don't think you will be sorry except that you will see many other classes that you want to sign up for. LOL
Old 02-16-2013, 06:24 AM

If you are interested in contemporary quilting, you can find two excellent classes on Craftsy. My number 1 favorite is the class by Weeks Ringle on Designing Modern Quilts and Elizabeth Hartman on Inspired Modern Quilts.
My granddaughter is 11 and interested in crochet, so I signed up for an amigurumi class for her when she visited me. It gave me a few minutes to myself as she was totally absorbed in the classes.
I can't say enough about these classes. Where would I be able to get world-class teachers to spend 7-9 lessons with me teaching me something I've wanted to know about?
I also took a class on color, and to balance out the old with the new, have a class pending on updating Civil War blocks.The sale's price of $19.99 makes the classes very affordable.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:34 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Like Fran36 I am enrolled in 12 quilting classes and have learned so much - especially from the free BOM! I also joined 2 crochet classes on a whim. One class I didn't like and they let me exchange it about 6 times to different classes until I found one that I thought fit me well. I really enjoy Craftsy classes.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:44 AM

I took the FREE BOM in 2012, have finished all the blocks...did them month by month...in the process of finishing the quilt now. I've signed up for the FREE BOM for 2013 but have not done either block because I'm taking a machine applique class at my LQS and it's really time consuming, altho I've watched both months....I think the class I took was fabulous and I'm so glad I did it because it taught me techniques I'd not used or known previously...excellent !!
Old 02-16-2013, 06:53 AM

Technical issue:
I would love to take a Craftsy class BUT I use an air card internet connection here in the swamp which is limited in the amount of data flow I can receive per month. Overages are hugely expensive. Videos are the most intensive data flows and can add up quickly as you can imagine. I wouldn't run into trouble most likely if I only watched once, but if couldn't download and had to reload each lesson I wished to review, I could quickly get into terrible expense. I don't have another choice as to internet access where I am. I can't find anywhere that these classes might be available in any locally accessible manner once viewed. I'd be paying for these classes over and over again and, likely, at big internet charges. Anyone else out there considered (or experienced) this problem?
We obviously can't ever watch streaming video movies because of this. Two average movies blows the entire monthly allocation!
Old 02-16-2013, 07:28 AM

I have bought 3 classes, so far, they are good. I like that you can chime into the teacher any time with questions. Since I work crazy hours at my job, its impossible for me to take normal day or evening classes.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by mhollifiel View Post
Technical issue:
I would love to take a Craftsy class BUT I use an air card internet connection here in the swamp which is limited in the amount of data flow I can receive per month. Overages are hugely expensive. Videos are the most intensive data flows and can add up quickly as you can imagine. I wouldn't run into trouble most likely if I only watched once, but if couldn't download and had to reload each lesson I wished to review, I could quickly get into terrible expense. I don't have another choice as to internet access where I am. I can't find anywhere that these classes might be available in any locally accessible manner once viewed. I'd be paying for these classes over and over again and, likely, at big internet charges. Anyone else out there considered (or experienced) this problem?
We obviously can't ever watch streaming video movies because of this. Two average movies blows the entire monthly allocation!
Oh now that stinks! Have you contacted Craftsy to ask them if they have advice for your situation?
Old 02-16-2013, 08:05 AM

I have purchase several. I have watched 2. The two that I did watch, I loved. I think they are great! You can watch them as many times as you want forever. I watched the Angela Walters Quilting Negative Spaces and learned so much from her. The designs she shows, you can do on either a long arm or domestic machine. I also purchased the Stupendous Stitching one. I have watched it and NEED to do one of those art pieces.
The sale is great. I just purchased 2 of more yesterday, and can't wait to watch and learn from them.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:48 AM

I have taken three classes and loved them all. Very well done.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:29 AM

I am taking the one on machine quilting on a DSM. I've also taken some of the free ones. I just recently got the strip piecing one. I like them because the cover the majority of the subject, if I have a question I can get an answer. My most favorite thing is, there is no deadline to follow. I can watch when I want and when my interest is down, I can stop until I want to work on this technique again.