Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Startching questions >

Startching questions

Startching questions

Old 02-15-2013, 03:31 PM

I use earth friendly spray starch non-aerosol fabric treatment from Lakeland. I have found that it is possible to water down which helps with the cost.
I only spray lightly on fabric when I will be handing a lot usually applique. I may spray at end of making blocks.

New tip........ When you have sprayed a friend wraps her blocks in kitchen foil. They are always lovely flat and never creased. Her daughter does the same. Perfection.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:41 PM

I tried making my own starch. I used corn starch made just for fabric. I found it in a little country store near where we live. I liked it but it did leave a residue on my iron if I didn't wait for the fabric to dry. Now I use Niagra spray starch or Stay Flo concentrate. I like the fragrance of the Niagra. Hancock Fabric was selling a new scent of Mary Ellen's, peaches and cream. But at $7 for a small bottle, I will pass.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:03 PM

I just tried to cook the cornstarch mixture (1-2 mins) and I am really pleased with the result. Don't cook it for too long or the starch will breakdown.
Will try the Borax trick next. Would be nice to have some starch ready to go when
I need it. Darn I shouldn't have thrown all that Borax away when we got the water
softener.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:09 PM

i like the stay flo stuff. use it all ythe time.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by bunniequilter View Post
I have been using cooked starch for years now. I couldnt find Stay Flo where I live so I made my own. I dont have a recipe per say, I just know how its supposed to look and feel as I'm cooking it. I recommend adding washing borax to the starch, it will preserve the starch for a really long time. Without the borax the starch will go sour, it doesnt take much, just a couple of spoonfuls.I also add a spray of my favorite lavender body spray, just one push on the pump. It gives the starch a nice smell and doesnt change the nature of the starch. I have a half empty pickle jar of my last batch in the fridge, its about 5 months old now and still as fresh as the day it was made thanks to the borax. I normaly make a batch every 6 months or so and keep it in the fridge.
If you look up borax you will find it is also used as an insecticide for ants so I suspect that might help with the bug issues.