Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I a meanie? >

Am I a meanie?

Am I a meanie?

Old 02-19-2013, 10:01 AM

You definitely are not a meanie. In my opinion it is rude to ask someone to make something without offering to pay the materials - at least, and actually it is fair to offer something for the work as well. In addition to quilting, I do photography and every once in a while there are people asking if I could take pictures of their family/kids/cats/dogs - you name it. And it is all with an assumption that since I have the professional cameras and all the gear, I am always available to take pictures free for "friends".
I politely decline, saying that I have other projects in the works, don't have time... typically referring to the fact that doing professional pictures for someone free is time away from the paid assignments.

And I do the same with quilting although I do very few quilts for sale, or based on orders.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:15 AM

These are "FRIENDS"???????? I don't think so. They are trying to take advantage of you.

Originally Posted by twoxover View Post
i would put a high price on that baby quilt <g>. i have friends who are "crafters"--they sell stuff at craft fairs, ect. if i buy something from them, i BUY it. none have ever offerred to just give me something because i like it. however, i get constant calls of "could you sew this for me" "could you embroider this", ect.....and no offer of payment. if i have the time, i do it, otherwise, I very nicely say that i really just don't have the time. truth--it does frost me a bit that they jsut take it for granted that i'll make stuff without compensation.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:18 AM

LOL!!!!! I LOVE it!!

Originally Posted by nancia View Post
i would ask that lady how much she paid for her house. then tell her you're moving in. afterall, anyone who paid that much for a house ought to be able to share it! lol. of course, yours would still be the only bed with a quilt,
Old 02-19-2013, 10:24 AM

Besides mentoning they would need to buy good quality fabric at $10 a yard, it takes 5 yards, and battng, and menton you only do rail fence for babies... ....then mention it wll take you 15 hours, ask them if instead of paying for your time, would they be willing to donate their own time to babysit, grocery shop, do lawn work, or something in exchange for your 15 hours.. LOL
Old 02-19-2013, 11:25 AM
Power Poster

no you have to do what is best for you when i worked everyone wanted me to make something my answer was this is a hobby its hard to please the public
Old 02-19-2013, 11:40 AM

I was once dating a man who was to be a pallbearer at a funeral. We went to the men's store and I helped him find a new suit at a reasonable price. However, he refused to pay for the tailoring to get the suit fitted. He figured I could do it. I was working, plus doing distance education, plus my sewing room was not yet set up since my last move, but he failed to understand that I could not get the suit altered in time for the funeral (not to mention the fact that tailoring is not my thing anyway). He actually got verbally abusive over it. Needless to say, I am no longer in that relationship.
When a friend asked if I could crochet something for a baby in her family, she was more than willing to pay good money for it. I just didn't have the time. And personally, my crafts are for my pleasure, not for profit.
Use that backbone. You have every right to say no without guilt.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:11 PM

As a beginner quilter I learned this lesson pretty quickly. My wonderful mom asked to make a full size quilt for my SIL. I said no problem. This was the beginning of January and I was going to Texas to see her the beginning of March. Since I'd never made a quilt that big I didn't realize how much more time it would take to finish it. I had to work on it every spare minute I had and I hated every minute of doing that quilt. I got it done on time and my SIL loved it. But I will never do any more quilts on a time line. It's either when I have time and I want to do it or it will not get made. Also when I got to Texas and gave the quilt to my SIL my Aunt was there and she started on this well you can make this quilt for this person and so on. She had me making quilts for all her family. I quickly said that I would not be making any of those quilts. I told her she could let me know what colors everyone liked and that IF I wanted to make them one somewhere down the road I would know what colors they liked. I went on to tell her what it cost just for all the material and batting and that my wonderful MIL quilted it for me for free but if I had to pay someone to quilt the tops what it would cost me to finish a quilt and then she shut up. My mom is still after me to make one for my brother, I told her I would but I just didn't have the time or money right now. I want to enjoy my quilting not hate it. So I will make what I want, when I have time and I don't feel quilty at all.