Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
OH MY !!  My Thrift Store Find: >

OH MY !! My Thrift Store Find:

OH MY !! My Thrift Store Find:

Old 02-27-2013, 08:20 PM

Love to hear these kind of stories!!! You'll have to share what that $4 became!!
Old 02-27-2013, 08:28 PM

Love those kinds of stories. Congratulations.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:29 PM

Good for you! I love how it feels when you find such and awesome find at a thrift store or yard sale! I have a great deal of fabric stash that came my way in the same manner. Shop on!
Old 02-27-2013, 09:16 PM
Power Poster

Wow, you hit the jackpot!!!
Old 02-28-2013, 05:56 AM

Way to go!!! Love going to thrift stores, goodwill, and yard sales...never know what people are willing to part with. You rocked it girlfriend!!
Old 02-28-2013, 06:06 AM
Power Poster

congrats on the find
Old 02-28-2013, 06:06 AM

I know one way they got there. Some one who did not know the value of those items donated them on behalf of the owner. One of my colleagues married a widower who's wife had been a quilter. He cleaned out his house in preparation to sell it and gave all her stash, books, tools and thread to Goodwill. He just wanted to get it out of his house. I about cried when I heard about it. I would have paid to have even some of her quilting "stuff" and carried it all to my home for him. I have to look at is as someone else needed those things more than I did, at a bargain price.

Enjoy your find and pour blessings on the one who picked them out and the one who gave them away.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:59 AM
Power Poster

It seems to me that the thrift stores in the south are more and cheaper priced than in the north....Keep hunting it is all luck...
Old 02-28-2013, 10:43 AM

What a lucky buy for you. for you that you got to get all that wonderful stuff. You warmed up my day to hear about it. Thanks for sharing.

In my small town, the thrift stores don't have fabric, etc. Glad you are more fortunate. I do buy boys clothes used like new for the boy doll section of the dolls I make and give away to VERY sick kids (Most with cancer) When it is half price day, and I'm out of clothes for the boys,I go shopping. I make dresses (long skirts decorated with lace and trim (topsy turvy so 2 dresses) for the girl dolls.

Vickey S.

Quiltin;5889559]My DH and I were in a thrift store we had never been in before. I asked a clerk if they had any fabric and she pointed to a board and said if there was any, it would be on that board. I had already been over there so I started looking near the linens on a table. There was a plastic bag all stapled together and I could see it had charm squares in Christmas patterns. I grabbed that bag so fast and held it close to me until we checked out. When I got to the truck, I opened it and almost passed out ! It had 5 charm squares of 100 fabrics and two packages containing 7 FQ's each. So I ended up with 500 charm squares and 14 fat quarters, all in the same fabrics for $3.97. These are in the original package, never opened. Earlier in the day, at another thrift store, I bought the brand new Fons and Porters 'easy quilts' magazine Spring 2013 for 50 cents and the price is $6.99. I have to wonder who the original owners were and why these items ended up in a thrift store. I also bought a beautiful new sewing basket for $3.00. I have quite a reputation for picking up bargains and today I feel very blessed. Guess the family is getting Christmas quilts this year !!![/QUOTE]
Old 02-28-2013, 02:52 PM

three of my nieces quilt, so my DH and children know that my stash goes to them. that is unless my DD decides to learn how. she is 21.

Originally Posted by erstan947 View Post
Great save.....it could have ended in the land fill .....I think my family will toss all my fabric and related tools in the trash.