Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help with a quilt pattern please. >

Need help with a quilt pattern please.

Need help with a quilt pattern please.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:35 PM

Could the backing by chance be Cuddle? It is sold in the area of fleece and really, really soft. BTW life is too short patterns are cheap enough to waste time and effort with cardboard. Heck I have pj patterns from the 70's I'm still pinning and cutting!!
Old 02-27-2013, 01:39 PM

It will be a reverse image, just like with a regular rag quilt. Neenee: I am not enjoying the whole pattern idea lol. Its much more difficult for me for some reason. I am not sure what the fabric is called. It was sold near the minky stuff, but its more fluffy and shaggy id say.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:42 PM

I guess im not great at explaining my issue here. Im really sorry guys! I know it makes it hard to understand when a person sucks at explaining an issue...You know how when you get a pattern for a rag quilt and cut the fabric, the fabric is sandwiched together front and back. Well if I wanted to do a different back, would I just divide the amount in half and do half flannel and half backing. Thats what im trying to get at. Does that make sense?
Old 02-27-2013, 03:10 PM

I think the answer is "yes" . . . If the pattern calls for you to cut 24 squares of flannel then you need to cut.12 of the flannel and 12 of the soft cuddly stuff
Old 02-27-2013, 03:37 PM
Power Poster

read through the whole pattern---does it give instructions to make the top/front....then different instructions for the back? if you start reading at the beginning & read it to the end you should find the answer to your question---it's always a good idea to read the complete pattern before cutting anything- i would (think) there will be instructions for constructing the front- then instructions for the backing.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:08 PM

Thank you Auntpiggylpn, I think you are right. I just really needed some reassurance here Now I can start cutting fabrics. Ckcowl: There are no front/back directions in the pattern. Just says match up two pieces with wrong sides together and sew. I think I got this! Going to be a lot of work for a newbie like myself but all I can do is try. Thank you all so much for the help!
Old 02-27-2013, 05:35 PM

You will do fine. My sister made the owl rag quilt and also Miss Kitty, I think, and it took her awhile to figure it out but when she finally got it, it turned out beautiful
Old 02-27-2013, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Doxiemomma View Post
Okay so I will be sure to check the edges of the fluffy fabric to make sure it doesnt need finishing before I decide to use it, thank you for pointing that out ripped on scotch! Eparys, that sums up what is going on. But I need help with the mathematics of the pattern. Say a piece of the pattern calls for 4 cuts of fabric, so would I cut 2 of them from flannel and 2 of them from the soft fluffy fabric?? Thats the issue im trying to figure out.
If you are determined to use the fluffy stuff, You would cut only 1 of the fluffy and 3 of the flannel. (It will be way too thick if you use 2 layers of the fluffy stuff) The fluffy will show on the back and the 3 flannels will rag around the fluffy edges in the front. But I would check out about the fluffy coming apart and making a mess after it is cut. Good luck
Old 02-27-2013, 10:03 PM

If the pattern is calling for batting I would leave it out. Just front and back. For every piece you cut for the front you need to cut a corresponding piece from the backing. I've made the bear, cat and dog. They are fun to do and draw a lot of interest when people see them. good luck and be sure and post pictures when you are done.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:44 PM

I think I understand what you are asking but haven't looked at the pattern. I would suggest cutting out half of what it calls for on the flannel and the other half out of the "fuzzy" fabric. Then when you start putting it together and you see that you need more pieces out of the flannel, cut it then. That will keep you from cutting any flannel that you might not need. Does that make sense?