Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disappearing Nine Patch Help >

Disappearing Nine Patch Help

Disappearing Nine Patch Help

Old 03-01-2013, 04:40 AM

No rules...do it your way!
Old 03-01-2013, 04:44 AM

I'm working on one at the minute and mixed them all up - the 'right' way is whatever gives you the look you want IMO!
Old 03-02-2013, 04:48 AM

I, too, have done it both ways. I made a quilt for my grandson using all sorts of prints for the four corner squares, red center and yellow side center squares. I mixed and mixed my cut sections with the results being sort of an "I-spy" quilt.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:12 AM

Your quilt = Your way
Old 03-02-2013, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Pat M. View Post
Just use the 4 blocks but turn them so that the small squares meet in the center.
You want only 2 of the small squares to meet in the center. That is the way the original 9 patch was made. The other two are turned to face out. This is what gives you the traditional pattern. But you can do anything with them you like. There are sure a lot of pictures of different ways to put them back together.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:42 AM

This is my 2nd D9P. I used the same fabric for the center square and then went from there. Was just about ready to start sewing the blocks together when someone on this site showed us their D9P on point. Oh my, that's got me thinking so rearranged this one I'm working on.........on point and fell in love all over again. Just finished it and its ready to be quilted. I actually used less blocks due to the sashing and coins added around each set of 4 blocks. Tore all the seams out of the cut offs from around the edge and threw them into my scrap bins. The leftover 5" squares I started with became a quilt for the recipent's kitty. Nothing goes to waste with us, does it?

Suz in Iowa
Old 03-02-2013, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by EllieGirl View Post
I have all twelve nine patch blocks sewn and trimmed. I know I cut the block in half both length and width. My question is do I use just those four new squares to sew into a new block? Or do I mix and match from the other blocks too?
Jenny at MSQC suggested to turn each block one turn to the right so that you have less seams to match. That's what I did in the Saddle Up quilt I recently made using 12 blocks (then cut into 4, making 48 - approx 6 1/2" squares---started with 5" squares when sewing the 9P). I used the Dark blue for the center of 9P and border of the quilt so you can see the placement.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Broch&StephanieBabyQuiltJan2013.jpg
Views:	756
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	399241  

Last edited by sharin'Sharon; 03-02-2013 at 02:00 PM. Reason: changed wording
Old 03-02-2013, 02:44 PM

Here is what I do, I cut them apart and arrange some of them and take a picture and then rearrange and take a picture and so on. Upload the pictures to my computer and go in and look at them. Somehow, seeing them from a distance allows me to decide which way to use them. I love 9-patch because you can cut them more than once for another look. However, arrange them the way you want, it is your quilt. What I love about quilting is when I get done, there is not another quilt in the world like the one I made...unique and totally different from anything you can buy anywhere.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:12 PM

Default Finished this DNP in record time

Well, record time for me. And the fabric traveled 5,000 miles in the making. (California to Alabama and back for Christmas!)

I chose 9 different fat quarters. 2 brown, 2 purple tone, 2 light blue tone, 2 dark (blue and black) and one varigated Red/Yellow/Orange (VERY bright) as the center square. The back was a very cool bird fabric, that I just couldn't cut up, so makes the perfect backing fabric!

I did the cutting, then did one layout, took digital picture, magic on computer, looked at the first version of the rotation, did not like the combo, changed the layout, (kind of Lather, Rinse, Repeat) until I was happy with my final block.

Then, because this was a gift for a friends first grandchild, I FMQ'd the pebble (or bubbles) pattern on the entire top. I found that broke up the color pattern even more than being total scappy, but it also pulled it together! And it's fun to see what the thread looks like against different colors.

Oh, quilting thread was HOT PINK on the top and pale mauve on the back. then I bound the edges with cocoa brown flannel. It's a baby quilt meant to be dragged through the grass, mud and everywhere.

I love the D9P, it has so many options, just starting with that first fabric choice! Make your cuts, rotate, adjust, enjoy, it's what you want and like in the layout that makes it so much fun. The fact that we can astonish others, that's just BONUS!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF7792.JPG
Views:	753
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	399293  
Old 03-02-2013, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by EllieGirl View Post
I have all twelve nine patch blocks sewn and trimmed. I know I cut the block in half both length and width. My question is do I use just those four new squares to sew into a new block? Or do I mix and match from the other blocks too?

I suggest going to the quilt photo section of this board and look for the D9P. Several options.

OR you can google Disappearing Nine Patch and look at the photos usually shown about 4 choices down.