Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
koala cabinet opinions wanted >

koala cabinet opinions wanted

koala cabinet opinions wanted

Old 03-03-2013, 03:48 AM

I, too, have one and absolutely love it! I got the taller cabinet and chair and as others have said, it makes it so easy when you are standing. My suggestion is to get every option you can possibly afford because it is so expensive you will talk yourself out of buying additional features in the future. That's what my wonderful DH made me do and I'm so glad he did! You will not be sorry for spending this money. It eliminated so many sewing room problems for me- combined cutting, sewing and basting all in one area.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:05 AM
Power Poster

If you can afford it and love it, you only live once.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:47 AM

I purchased all my quilting furniture from Tracey's Tables out of Wisconsin. Tracey is the quilter and her husband is the furniture maker. Their teenage daughter helps with selling at shows. They also deliver and set up. http://www.traceystables.com/products/sewing.php
Old 03-03-2013, 05:32 AM

I have had a Koala for 10 years and don't know what I would do without it in my 6x10 ft sewing room. It takes most of the space, but when closed up just looks like a desk.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:11 AM

I absolutely love my Sewmate IV. I sew in my dining room, so I can close it up when we have company and that is so much easier than taking everything off of the table.

What I like: the rounded edges and corners, all of my tools right next to me, the outback extension (I just finished FMQ a queen size quilt), the quality of the construction.

Options I'm REALLY happy I got: matching thread chest (it gives me 3 wonderful drawers for things like my sewing feet, marking pencils, rotary cutter, and other notions I want to find quick and easy), the outback extension, and shelves for the door

What I wish was different: I have carpet so it is harder than I expected to move the cabinet because of the weight the rollers don't glide as easy as I imagined -an issue I can deal with; the thread chest needed spacers so that it wouldn't move around--I used the small blocks of wood that were used when it was shipped.

I don't use my cabinet for a cutting table so the extra height was not needed. I don't like getting into a high chair--even a few inches makes me feel unsteady.

I looked at all of the sewing cabinets at the Houston Quilt show and this one took my breath away -hands down my favorite. Everytime I sit down to sew, I feel very blessed that I could get it.

Happy sewing!
sheri in TX
Old 03-03-2013, 07:02 AM

We paid over $1000 for my Koala outback over 10 years ago as a floor model closeout. I cannot imagine my sewing life without it.. It has been well worth every nickel.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:02 AM

14 years ago I bought a ($700) Horn Quiltmate II and I still use it daily. I can't advise you on the Koala cabinets, but the Horn cabinets are very similar. I added pictures of my Pfaff 1222E and Viking Sapphire 875 in the cabinet; I have 4 machines that share this cabinet, just have to swap out the plexiglass insert.
Sharon
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	pics for elaine and joe 003.JPG
Views:	952
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	399431   Click image for larger version

Name:	White and Viking 001.JPG
Views:	984
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	399432  

Last edited by purplefiend; 03-03-2013 at 07:06 AM.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:09 AM

I tried to find it on line to be able to respond to your question intelligently but could not find that particular one. However I did find their cabinets and I must say if I had the cash I would buy it. It looks so great and as though it would save lots of headaches in organization. I have always wished I hadn't walked away when I found something that would give me good service and to late decided to go back. If it seems like a good deal and you would like to have it I say go get it and not regrets.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:24 AM

Grandma of 6 wondered about the 3" added height. I am tall and added height is important to me and my back. Leaning over and slumping hurts. My cutting tables are on cinder blocks. My ironing board has lifts that won't come off no matter how I scoot the board. My kitchen counters are higher than usual.

I confess there are times with my sewing buddies that I feel as though my knuckles are dragging but my "renovations" make time in my sewing room a lot more comfortable.

Pat
Old 03-03-2013, 01:52 PM

I got a regular height Sewmate plus IV a few years ago and I love it. The quilt mate was too large for the room. I already had a cutting table (a 2' x5' workbench with lots of drawers that my husband and son modified for me years ago - peg board on the back and casters to raise it to the right heigth) I got the back extension, but not the shelves for it. When we get completely moved up here to wine country I may add them and an insert for my old Pfaff 7550. I love it for piecing and my DIL isn't getting it back. I love the workmanship and the service (two turns in my staircase - and that thing is HEAVY). I had extra money and I'm glad I spent it that way. I didn't get the chair though. It didn't feel like it was worth the money and I like arms.