Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mending--I don't think so.... >

Mending--I don't think so....

Mending--I don't think so....

Old 03-03-2013, 07:02 PM

I don't know how to do it, I'm sticking with it
Old 03-03-2013, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
My daughter just brought me 4 snowmobile suits with the knees out. (She has a day care and keeps these around.) It took me a few days to figure out how to do that. I'm going to cut open the side seam, cut out the whole knee, and put a new piece in there. That will be the quickest and easiest. I'm just looking for some rip-stop nylon to use for the outer fabric. The suits are in good condition except for the knees, and I think they are worth it.
This is what a friend of mine uses who does the same thing with old snow suits (I have no affiliation with the company, just happy to see someone else trying to fix something rather than just throw it out): http://www.seattlefabrics.com/nylons.html
Old 03-03-2013, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
If you find one, let me know. How about we start one. LOL I wouldn't know the first thing about that.
I do a lot of patch, remodel, repair work. If it can be fixed, I'd love to do it, rather than throw it out. I even fix stuff before I donate it to Good Will or St. Vinney's. And I pick up stuff there that I can fix and re-donate!
http://groups.yahoo.com/start
Yahoo says it's as easy as 1-2-3. If I didn't have a young child at home with me and a young business I'm launching I'd do it.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:48 PM

Everybody who hates mending send them to me. I'll be happy to do it for a price....of course!
Old 03-03-2013, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
I will hem and mend for someone that I love. . I used to sew for myself but I would much rather make quilts than clothes. However I adopted a 85 pound Boxer named Olivia that I am squeezing into a too small coat to go for walks. Bought the fleece will attempt to draft a pattern off the old coat and make it bigger. Poor Olivia they don't make cute clothes for big girls!
Wow! One look at Olivia, and I thought, "Some dogs don't need a coat." Does your vet say she would need something when she goes out? I've never seen a big dog wearing anything. It's the little dogs that need something. Anyhow, have fun with Olivia, coat or no.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by aeble View Post
http://groups.yahoo.com/start
Yahoo says it's as easy as 1-2-3. If I didn't have a young child at home with me and a young business I'm launching I'd do it.
Wow! so it is possible! But I don't really have the ambition. I would rather sew and fix. And go on line and see what everyone else is doing. Of course I have no idea what this would entail. We'll see if anyone else has an interest.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by aeble View Post
This is what a friend of mine uses who does the same thing with old snow suits (I have no affiliation with the company, just happy to see someone else trying to fix something rather than just throw it out): http://www.seattlefabrics.com/nylons.html
Wow! Thanks! This is just what I was looking for. Right now, I have a call out for old snowmobile suits from my neighbor. But if he can't come up with any, I'll be going to seattlefabrics. Thanks again.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Carol34446 View Post
Good for you Pam, what a great thing. Kids today don't usually get to learn how to sew in school like us oldies did. When in high school my neice was born and I made her Raggdy Ann and Andy and clothes. Mom looked at me and said if you can sew that good I am not sewing for you any more. Now I will attempt anything. And I take after my grandfather and can figure many things out without a pattern and make one like it.
I learned to sew at my momma's knee. Never had a sewing lesson in school or any other place and I qualify as one of the oldies. Thanks, Mom!
Old 03-04-2013, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by lfw045 View Post
Everybody who hates mending send them to me. I'll be happy to do it for a price....of course!

LOL, I'll mend for a price. But have yet to find anyone who'd offer even a cup of coffee.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Carol34446 View Post
Good for you Pam, what a great thing. Kids today don't usually get to learn how to sew in school like us oldies did. When in high school my neice was born and I made her Raggdy Ann and Andy and clothes. Mom looked at me and said if you can sew that good I am not sewing for you any more. Now I will attempt anything. And I take after my grandfather and can figure many things out without a pattern and make one like it.
And what's more, I was making my own clothes by 5th grade. Those of you who learned to sew in school, hadn't even had your first lesson by then!