Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
RV Quilting. Anybody do it? >

RV Quilting. Anybody do it?

RV Quilting. Anybody do it?

Old 03-05-2013, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Rntraveler View Post
Is it difficult to hook up to water etc....I could care less about anything with gas but a small electric skillet would be great...would love to do this by myself with my small dog....thanks for sharing.
I have found that there are may generous and helpful people when camping. I'm sure you could find someone there that would be happy to help you hook up to the water etc. Years ago my sister and I took their camper a couple of times by ourselves and she had trouble getting it parked etc. Two guys came over and parked it for us and helped set everything up. The said they'd pull it out for us and help us with anything else we needed while there. Never give up! Good luck with your adventures.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:11 AM

I have been RVing for many years and always take my sewing machine with me. I don't find any problem with the sewing machine and where to put it, what I do have problem with is when I am doing the piecing where do I put every little piece and I have found that the bed is the best place. I keep everything in Tote boxes and keep them in an orderly manner under the bed. You might also find that you are to busy socializing to do much sewing. Enjoy.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:23 AM

Sounds like your ideas should work fine. I usually just take hand work with me when camping. But at one state park where we trout fish, there a couple of girls I've met there, who drag their machines, cutting boards, irons, the works. If the weather is good, they set up on a picnic table, and work together. If it's raining, they work in the bigger fifth wheel, and have a great time. I always visit to see what they are up to that visit. Best of luck with your RV, we've camped for about 41 years.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Rntraveler View Post
Is it difficult to hook up to water etc....I could care less about anything with gas but a small electric skillet would be great...would love to do this by myself with my small dog....thanks for sharing.
If this comment was made re our little 20 foot I posted the picture of, the water hook up is easy. You have a hose in a little compartment, just screw it on like any other garden hose at home. Some campgrounds recommend you have an attachment in case they have surges of water (can't remember exact name) We were nervous the first time we used it, but anyone who has any type of RV can usually take a look & help you out in a campground. So many of the private grounds are like little communities and we have met many single people when traveling.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:27 AM

Congratulations Rose!
It is always nice to hear about another quilter getting on the road. You will run into a lot of quilters on the road. A good website to checkout is the http://www.escapees.com/. You can search their forum http://www.rvnetwork.com/ for quilts/quilters as a guest and ask questions. Escapees also own RV parks and often quilters have get-togethers at the park's center.

We will celebrate our 4th anniversary as full-timers in May 2013. We sold our house and have been full-timing in our 38ft 1994 Bluebird motorhome. I have been quilting from Washington State to Key West, FL. I have loved every minute of it despite the lack of space. A big plus is being able to see different quilt shows and shops. I'm going to Sisters, OR this year!

When I started I was asked by another quilter how I was storing and quilting in our RV so I started a blog about my travels and quilting. This link shows what tips and tricks I have learned to make my quilted travel days enjoyable: http://quiltincats.blogspot.com/2009...ll-timing.html.
Happy Trails, Sandy
Old 03-05-2013, 08:09 AM

Would it make any sense to take a handcrank machine in an RV? (Most of the older ones are heavy.) If you did this, would it be in addition to an electric machine or instead of one?

Do most of you have your own generators?

Have any of you tried taking the June Tailor cut and press boards in your RVs? They come in several sizes. You cut on one side and press on the other, they don't warp, and I would think you wouldn't need a special place to store them.

Thanks to everyone for your comments on this thread. I've been thinking about RVing and wondered how I could still quilt.

Last edited by cricket_iscute; 03-05-2013 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:26 AM

HI Sandy

Members of QB,

"Sandy" posted a reply to this thread. She is a wonder at quilting while full-timing in RV. We bought our first RV when we retired in 2010. The first thing I did was to find others who quilted while living in RV. My search took me to Sandy's blog. What an inspiration she was and still is to me. While I have never met Sandy, I feel like an old friend. Her blog has become a weekly habit for me to check. Smiles to Sandy!

While we are not full-timers, I do pack my quilting and other handwork. I enjoy these activities while the guys are playing golf. There are a lot of very nice people for you to meet and a lot of them are quilters! If you want to take your quilting with you ...just remember - where there's a will.... there's a way.

Last edited by linda faye; 03-05-2013 at 08:28 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:01 AM

Oh boy, this has been a great site to get my day off to a sunshiney start in all this pouring-down rain.....now I am giving some thought to entering a bug into DH's bonnet. Let's try the travel in a van thing for awhile. We are both retired, and have spent the last two weeks remodeling my kitchen (think ####%^&*#$@%^& here, and lots of headachey bad mood between you and the spouse here); so this looks like a great time to say "let's get away", huh? We have a houseboat up at Dale Hollow, and I have done my quilting thing there several times--I have all the stuff I need to just pull it out and work on whatever project I quit on the last time we were up there. We love road trips, and have often said, "let's just sell out, buy an RV, and hit the road permanently," but so far, too many pets to desert if we should do that. But, thinking in that direction anyway......
Old 03-05-2013, 09:52 AM

We have been living full time in our RV for about year Class A 32 foot and love it. I travel with 2 sewing machines(they stay in the rig have them under dining table) and have a bin in our basement compartments with my quilting supplies I use lots of plastic bins that have drawers to store my stash I either sew inside or I love to do outside sewing and always get strange looks or women coming over to visit as I sew away. Right now I am quilting a quilt for my granddaughter which is 72x82 I use their picnic nice plastic one to do that !!!! Enjoy and have fun
Old 03-05-2013, 09:56 AM

We have been traveling in our 40ft RV for 10 yrs with 2 sewing/embroidery machnes & serger. My husband took out our couch added 2 recliners, and built a sewing/computer area. Under that area I store machines and a 3 drawer rolling cabinet for fabric & miscellanous. He also build another cabinet next to the wall for more statch It's been a great life traveling and quilting. If you see us, do stop in, we're in So. Ca for the winter.