Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Best Seam Ripper? Techniques? >
  • Best Seam Ripper? Techniques?

• Best Seam Ripper? Techniques?

Old 03-06-2013, 07:01 AM

Default Best Seam Ripper? Techniques?

As a new quilter, I seem to be ripping out my seams a lot. At 63, my eyes aren't that great either, so I thought about getting one with a magnifying glass. Some even have lights. I also saw a battery operated seam ripper at Annies and was wondering if it would save me time. Has anyone used any of these or do you have a favorite seam ripper or method that you could recommend? I would appreciate any comments. Thanks.
    Old 03-06-2013, 07:05 AM

The way I rip my seams out is on onside of the fabric I pull out a seam about every 10 stitches or so. Then I turn it over and randomly rip out every 10 stitches on that side. After that I can open the seam very quickly and do not have to do every little stitch.
    Old 03-06-2013, 07:12 AM

Next b-day is my 63rd, so I hear you about trying to see those tiny threads. I have extra light(s) around my sewing machine. You will get many suggestions on un-sewing. IMHO the easiest (for me) is to flip your seam over (bobbin side) and pick/rip about every 4th-6th stitch, then flip back over and pull out one long thread. My FAVORITE seam ripper is the white clover seam ripper.
    Old 03-06-2013, 07:13 AM

I found a You-Tube video that showed an easy technique. On one side of you seam, use the ripper to cut one stitch every 7 or so. Then on the other side, just pull the thread out in one long piece. It works great and less tiny threads to have to pick.
    Old 03-06-2013, 07:13 AM

rather than looking for light or magnification specific to the ripper, I would look at an over all solution for those problems.
    Old 03-06-2013, 07:26 AM

I love my battery operated one it is very fast . It's my new best friend.there is a video on youtube . Electric Seam Ripper

Originally Posted by Fortyniner
    As a new quilter, I seem to be ripping out my seams a lot. At 63, my eyes aren't that great either, so I thought about getting one with a magnifying glass. Some even have lights. I also saw a battery operated seam ripper at Annies and was wondering if it would save me time. Has anyone used any of these or do you have a favorite seam ripper or method that you could recommend? I would appreciate any comments. Thanks.
    Old 03-06-2013, 08:15 AM
    Power Poster

I use my pointed thread snips to cut the bobbin thread every 3 to 4 stitches and then pull the top thread. I put the pieces I am working on the machine bed of my sewing machine and use the good light to see what I am doing.
    Old 03-06-2013, 08:22 AM

Thanks for your responses. I checked out the you tube videos and the electric one looks really fast and would also solve my issue with my vision. I do have glasses, but they don't seem to help much with the small stitches. I also have extra lights, including a magnifying glass with light on my machine, which I love. I just have one more question for mary quilting. Have you ever cut your fabric rather than the thread with the electric ripper? I am doing some machine applique blocks for my first quilt top and would hate to cut the fabric and have to do the block all over again.
    Old 03-06-2013, 08:22 AM

I like my Clover seam ripper and rips every few stitches on one side then pull the
    thread on the other side. I just ordered a magnifying lamp. Can't wait. I'll let
    you know how it goes.
    Old 03-06-2013, 11:09 AM

I usually rip out every 5 or 6 stitches, you can then pull the back thread out in one piece. Purchase a Clover Seam Ripper. I got one a few months ago and just love it. Mine is abright teal seam ripper and a ball at the end. It is great to use to drag out those little left overs and help close up the holes.