Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Singer 319 in need of TLC >

Singer 319 in need of TLC

Singer 319 in need of TLC

Old 09-04-2012, 04:27 AM

Just terrific, lots of work to be done but you got a real prize and thank you for sharing
Have a Blessed day
Ellen
Old 01-26-2013, 11:09 AM

Fabulous thread - full of useful information. I bought a treadle table that came with a "free" 319k and it's such a gorgeous machine that I want to get it working again. I've bought a bobbin case, bobbins, a treadle belt and the 206/13 needles - so I'm determined to get this back stitching beautifully after such an investment However, when I got it all in and threaded it up, the bobbin thread got all tangled up behind the bobbin case holder / sewing hook after the first few turns of the wheel. In my imagination - it was all going to be straight forward.

I'll no doubt be taking pictures and asking advice (I'll be honest and say that I have no interest in quilting, just clothes making and only joined this forum because there are so many 319k lovers and renovators on here )
Old 01-26-2013, 11:18 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lanark View Post
Fabulous thread - full of useful information. I bought a treadle table that came with a "free" 319k and it's such a gorgeous machine that I want to get it working again. I've bought a bobbin case, bobbins, a treadle belt and the 206/13 needles - so I'm determined to get this back stitching beautifully after such an investment However, when I got it all in and threaded it up, the bobbin thread got all tangled up behind the bobbin case holder / sewing hook after the first few turns of the wheel. In my imagination - it was all going to be straight forward.

I'll no doubt be taking pictures and asking advice (I'll be honest and say that I have no interest in quilting, just clothes making and only joined this forum because there are so many 319k lovers and renovators on here )
Welcome to QB. Congrats on the find!!! Some times those 319s have been re-timed or managed in some way to make a regular needle sew on it. Read this whole thread - lots of good info - before you go too crazy though. Whip out a user's manual and make sure the correct needle is in the right way - then re-thread according to the manual using a good quality thread - don't try to run it at full tilt - just hand turn it to see what it is doing. Maybe even hand turn it with no fabric in there - see if it makes the loop then if it does, look below to see what kind of performance you get. Somewhere on here is even a free service manual to download.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:11 PM

I've spent the last few hours reading all of these comments. I am amazed at the wonderful intelligent information on here. Better than any fix-it shop. I don't have any of these machines, but I want one.LOL
Old 01-26-2013, 03:14 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by barny View Post
I've spent the last few hours reading all of these comments. I am amazed at the wonderful intelligent information on here. Better than any fix-it shop. I don't have any of these machines, but I want one.LOL
how bad???
Old 03-06-2013, 07:39 PM

Miriam, thank you for this thread! It's been a great help in cleaning up my machine. I have 2 questions that I can't find an answer for either here or in the owner's and adjuster's manuals. There are 2 gears on the top, to the left of the cleated belt. Do you know whether these should be lubed? The ones on mine had a minute amount that was very dry. Also, there was a short piece of thread caught in the bobbin race that I worked for quite awhile to remove. Is it possible to remove the race for cleaning like you can on other machines? And if so, will the machine then have to be timed?

Oh, and one more question, please. Does a 319's motor have brushes that need to be checked? The motor runs fine and the wiring is in great shape. In fact, it still has the original green wiring to the motor and foot control! And the green bobbin tire! Thank you for any help you can offer.

Jan
Old 03-07-2013, 12:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jpete523 View Post
Miriam, thank you for this thread! It's been a great help in cleaning up my machine. I have 2 questions that I can't find an answer for either here or in the owner's and adjuster's manuals. There are 2 gears on the top, to the left of the cleated belt. Do you know whether these should be lubed? The ones on mine had a minute amount that was very dry. Also, there was a short piece of thread caught in the bobbin race that I worked for quite awhile to remove. Is it possible to remove the race for cleaning like you can on other machines? And if so, will the machine then have to be timed?

Oh, and one more question, please. Does a 319's motor have brushes that need to be checked? The motor runs fine and the wiring is in great shape. In fact, it still has the original green wiring to the motor and foot control! And the green bobbin tire! Thank you for any help you can offer.

Jan
If the gears do not have contact with that cloth belt I would give them just a little grease

If you look at the picture on the first page window #6, you will see a 'finger' next to the shuttle - there is a screw into the machine - if you take out the 'finger' the shuttle will move around I'm thinking - it might be enough to help get the thread out then just put it back - mark everything before you start - You may have to re-time the machine - but I managed without re-timing. I had to mess with how it went back to get the finger and the shuttle in the right position when I put it back.

I've not seen a 319 or a 306 with out wiring issues. It is usually brittle. If it works leave it alone - you should be able to see if sparks come out of the motor when you run it. Is there carbon anywhere? You can always change out the brushes and wires if you have any doubt.

Last edited by miriam; 03-07-2013 at 12:55 AM.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:20 AM
Power Poster

Window #146 had a tip about the bobbin shuttle 'finger' - if I remember right it is sort of like the 301 - that finger keeps things in place - it may tick a little like the 301 or 221. You have to adjust it to your liking.

I just read this whole thing - WOW I have learned a lot since I did things to that machine! Mr. Education was a very good name for the machine. Thank you everybody!!!

I wonder if Candace ever found a darning foot? I used the raised darning plate and a darning foot and about went nuts - there wasn't enough room for my fingers in there - the needle bar screw kept hitting me on the finger. I was not all that impressed with the free motion. But maybe the right combination of foot and tension setting and I would love it. Who knows.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:48 PM

Thanks, Miriam, for the guidance. I removed the finger but still couldn't get the race, or whatever it's called, to come out. The problem I was having was it would turn for a while then jamb like there was something catching. So out of desperation I oiled it (a bunch) and that seems to have remedied it. The odd thing about this machine is it was very clean, except for the back. There was almost no oil to be found. Almost like someone thoroughly cleaned it then stored it away. So I think I have it ready for my DGD to use next week when she's home on spring break. Thank you again!

Jan
Old 03-07-2013, 02:51 PM
Power Poster

I'm glad you were able to win one. Sewing machines are so much fun - every old machine has some unique issue. I just cleaned up an old machine with a rusty shuttle. I've cleaned dozens like it and never have seen rust there before. I'll have to figure out how to get the rust off the shuttle some other day.