Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A TV, a Nook or a Kindle Fire  for my sewing room .....???? >

A TV, a Nook or a Kindle Fire for my sewing room .....????

A TV, a Nook or a Kindle Fire for my sewing room .....????

Old 03-08-2013, 10:07 AM

I've got a small TV near my machine (but at my back). It also has a VCR attached.(I'm dating myself -- but I have several tapes on heirloom sewing, etc and also old movies, which I love.) I put on a movie and when it's pinning, ripping, etc. time, I spin around and "watch" as I work. The rest of the time I listen.
I'm not savvy with the other two choices so I say get the TV.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:20 AM

I love my Nook, but for what you are describing I would take the TV
Old 03-08-2013, 10:23 AM

TV hands down, simply because you can sew and still glance at the TV at the same time...hehehhe.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:39 AM

I have a Nook tablet and I love it. Works great. I watch movies on it all the time. I would go with the tv though for in the sewing room.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:42 AM

I have a nook and love it. I read this quilting board on it not my house computer. I read a book for my grandchildren and it records my voice. So I am reading to them. Plus you can buy books from anywhere. I play lots of games. Get my e mails, love my nook. Just started watching Downton Abbey on netfix all on my nook. Congrads on your reward.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:46 AM

I have a Kindle fire and love it, but I would choose the TV for my sewing room. The Kindle does play movies, but I find the sound isn't very loud so I use earphones. I can envision the earphones getting tangled up with my sewing and getting in the way. I would want the TV hooked up to the internet though so I could watch the sewing tutorials on a big screen which would be cool. That shouldn't be too difficult with all the technology floating around. After thinking about this I will plan to get a TV for my new sewing room that I am working on. Of course that will be a year or two from now.

Last edited by Sarint; 03-08-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:56 AM

You can get an HDMI cable and hook a Kindle Fire to a TV to watch whatever you'd like on a larger screen if that's what you need on occasion. The nice thing about the Kindle Fire is it's small and portable, so you can view content anywhere you have internet. I get magazines on it, as well as books (free and purchased). With Amazon Prime I'm able to watch thousands of movies and TV shows free. There are a lot of advantages to the Kindle, whereas the TV/DVD combo is somwhat limited and as mentioned before, if the DVD quits working, you're stuck with just a TV. When all is said and done, make your choice depending on what the intended use is. Whichever you choose, it will be a wonderful memento.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:18 AM

Since I have to do my cutting in a room without a computer, I find my Kindle Fire to be very useful. I can follow the cutting instructions for quilt blocks without having to walk back to my computer for the next step. And I can take it traveling with me. Any place that has wifi (airport, coffee shops) gives me access. Even my dentist has free wifi. While visiting in DC my sister, niece and I each had our Kindles out for her grandkids to play games.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:38 AM

I couldn't live without my TV/DVD in the sewing room! I like noise when I'm sewing... doesn't matter what it is, really. That's why I end up watching House Hunters or Honey Boo-Boo marathons on Sunday afternoons...LOL.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:42 AM

Another option is the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7. It costs less than a Kindle when it's on sale and does everything the internet does, including streaming videos and TV.