Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
First quilts >

First quilts

First quilts

Old 03-10-2013, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by WTxRed View Post
1st quilt - queen size Labyrinth (Pattern by D Maddy) made Nov 2011. Can't believe I waited so long to start!
Wow I am just about to try her labyrinth pattern and am anxious to start. My 1st quilt was a sampler that turned out so well that I was hooked. For reasons I really can't explain I wanted to learn quilting for it seems all my life & finally got the chance 2 1/2 yrs. ago. No one in my family ever sewed or quilted so I don't know where this desire came from but I am hooked. I have to thank everyone here for their help & encouragement because I couldn't have done it without their expertise.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:47 AM

That was challenging for a 1st quilt, my Aun trecently made one, she's a very experienced quilter and it was achellenge for her.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:47 AM

I started out with block of the month quilts so I could learn lots of patterns. I have lots of UFOs now. LOL
Old 03-10-2013, 06:02 AM

My first quilt was a baby quilt in 1967 for our first son. It was a kit of baby animals that I embroidered beautifully. I set it together with yellow as we did not know whether babies were boys or girls until they popped out. The quilt is still around-it hangs on the wall of the room in our son's house we occupy when we visit (very frequently). Though I see the flaws I smile because they are so proud of it. Here we are 45 years later and I quilt most every day. This year I am making queen size quilts for two grandsons graduating from high school. Still love to quilt and love to learn new things. The quilts I am making for the boys are quite contemporary but I like the ideas I am using.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:09 AM

My first was October of 2012 - a baby quilt with a contemporary wiener dog on it. Since then I've completed 4 more quilts, mostly generous lap size and have three in various stages of completion right now.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:27 AM

My first quilt was a wall hanging of a fireplace for Christmas. That was 40 odd years ago. One of my DDs still uses it at Christmas. I also still have the pattern.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:32 AM
Power Poster

my first quilt was (oh the shame) was made from polyester fabric samples in the early 80's. It slid off the bed if you just looked at it :-). I started quilting again in the early 2000's with cotton. My first pattern was a crazy quilt.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:58 AM

I took a class at the VoTech so I could make my first quilt for a grandbaby that was on the way! That would have been about 7 years ago. I have made about 5 baby quilts and 2 queen quilts. Working on a large quilt now; just really got back into it the last year or so ~
Old 03-10-2013, 07:32 AM

My first quilt was a wall quilt made with four blocks made by my grandmother in 1990. The newspaper that she used for the paper piecing was dated 1947. Dad had discovered it in going through some of my Mother's things and gave it to me. I was thrilled to have something that she had worked on -- she died in 1951 when I was too young to have any memory of her. My next attempt at quilting was soon after finishing the wall hanging. I made a bed quilt using the churn dash pattern. I was disappointed with the fabrics I used. I had a lot to learn about color choices and contrast, but it had me hooked by then. My quilting journey has been a large part of my life since then. It has saved my sanity at times! LOL
Old 03-10-2013, 07:34 AM

first quilt: shoo fly for daughter that didn't get finished until she was a teen, 2nd Sunbonnet sue for GD, 3rd, overall Sam for GS, 4th: friendship star for daughter's high school graduation, 5th: LC with stars for another daughter's 1st yr college, 6th; Best Friends for a daughter to commemorate her brother who was her best friend, 7th; Fons & Porter, Under the Sea as wedding quilt. Not many quilts for having started collecting and reading quilting magazines in the early 70's. Working on a flannel Split Rail for my bed in AK, and a Lady in the Lake for another daughter