Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another Reason To Wash Your Fabric!!!! >

Another Reason To Wash Your Fabric!!!!

Another Reason To Wash Your Fabric!!!!

Old 03-09-2013, 04:07 PM

ewwww...thanks for letting us know!!! I always wash anyway but will share this with friends who don't!
Old 03-09-2013, 04:14 PM

I think I will begin washing fabric when I get it.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:21 PM

I seldom wash my fabric. I like the sizing in it. Makes neater cuts. Just my opinion.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:36 PM

Each of us does what makes us comfortable.

I do not pre-wash because I like the sizing in the fabric and life is too short to spend hours ironing and starching fabric before I cut it. I have never found anything bizarre in my fabric in about 55 years of sewing and I'm not going to start getting paranoid now.

However, every quilt I make is washed at least once, with colour catchers, before I give it away. I have a bunch of feline quilt inspectors, so cat hair is endemic in my house. Plus, I love the feel of a good new clean quilt before I give it away.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:59 PM

I am a washer. Have allergies. Always sneezing, coughing when I'm in fabric shops, in the detergent aisles, and garden sections or stores... Washing helps me in more ways than one...
Old 03-10-2013, 11:11 AM

Yep; I pre wash it all. Went to a quilt shop once and found all sorts of littleones running around with snotty noses and wipping on the fabric. So-----I wash it all. I had pre ordered my fabric and it was already cut and bagged for me when I got there, thank goodness; but you never know. I usually try to stay away from any quilt shop with children running around like that plus the candy and cookies they had. Grand opening is fine but not all the time. I even wash my hands before looking at fabric or touching any of it. People in my guild don't wash their fabric; they say they want it crisp. I would hate to make a quilt and give as a gift and then wash it and the fabric run. Embarrrrsssssssiiinnnnngggggg!
Old 03-10-2013, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by quiltapillow View Post
Yep; I pre wash it all. Went to a quilt shop once and found all sorts of littleones running around with snotty noses and wipping on the fabric. So-----I wash it all. I had pre ordered my fabric and it was already cut and bagged for me when I got there, thank goodness; but you never know. I usually try to stay away from any quilt shop with children running around like that plus the candy and cookies they had. Grand opening is fine but not all the time. I even wash my hands before looking at fabric or touching any of it. People in my guild don't wash their fabric; they say they want it crisp. I would hate to make a quilt and give as a gift and then wash it and the fabric run. Embarrrrsssssssiiinnnnngggggg!
Now that is one I didn't think about & the funny thing is that I stopped eating at the ice cream stations at buffets because of the kiddies with dirty fingers grabbing the goodies as they passed by. I smiled at them cause it was funny..mom never even looked at the kids but I decided to pass
Old 03-10-2013, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Beachbound View Post
I guess since most of our fabric comes from overseas you just don't know what is on the boat with it.
Excuse me?
You don't have mice in America, or what?
Old 03-10-2013, 06:36 PM

I wash everything new, even underwear, blouses, slacks, etc. Not sure where it's been and who tried it on.
I always wash quilt fabric due to bleeding.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by noveltyjunkie View Post
Excuse me?
You don't have mice in America, or what?
I cracked up laughing when I read this. Yes, we Americans can be so full ourselves sometimes!