Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Difference between quilting fabric store material and hancocks >

Difference between quilting fabric store material and hancocks

Difference between quilting fabric store material and hancocks

Old 03-10-2013, 09:40 AM
Power Poster

I have purchased both good and not so good fabrics from LQS, and I have purchased good fabric from Wal-Mart, JoAnn's, Connecting Threads, etc. Unless I'm buying online, I generally go by the feel of the fabric and what I can afford to buy at the time.I guess that makes me an equal opportunity buyer of fabric.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:35 PM

When my nephew was born last August, I wanted his quilt to extra special, so I bought batiks at the LQS. When cutting the fabric and sewing it together, I came across some flaws in the fabric that disappointed my wallet terribly. Also, the lighter color fabrics I used for setting triangles were very, very thin and had to be super starched to get them to work for the purpose. The advantage of the LQS was the variety and ability to get what I wanted in one shopping trip. Most of the time I shop the chains to add to my stash, and when I have a project I can usually get most of the material from my stash, and maybe have to buy one or two pieces.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:52 PM

The Hobby Lobby in my area is such a pain. I haven't bought fabric there because a customer can't find an employee in the whole gigantic store to help you. Hancock's had wonderful fabrics 10 years ago but now is on the line of JoAnns. I am interested to read in this thread that JoAnns has some better quality fabrics now. I'm on a whine here but our JoAnn store is understaffed. Long waits with grumpy employees is typical. I highly recommend Fabric.com. You can really save some money and get nice fabric.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:03 AM
Power Poster

Rose, I agree with you. I worked the fabric department at our Wal Mart and had one of our LQS owners come in and buy fabric by the bolt to mark up and sell in her store. I have been thrilled at the quality of the fabric at Connecting Threads. And, I have purchased high quality fabric at Wal Mart. You must check your fabric wherever you buy it.

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
The salespeople at LQS will give you one version of the differences, fabric reps will give different facts, and JoAnn's/WalMart will give a third version.....LQS wants you to believe that their fabric is the best and the only place you can get good fabric.....I know from shopping at all of them, that you can get good and bad fabric everywhere....you have to feel/look the fabrics to know....I cannot afford the pricing at LQS, so only shop there if I can't find what I need at a cheaper price somewhere else.....I am very satisfied with the fabrics/pricing from Connecting Threads....I get free shipping on $50 orders and who can't spend $50 when making a quilt?
Old 03-11-2013, 03:57 AM

I have to agree with Emma S. it is in the feel for me, also. It has to pass the touch test, I am not such a fabric snob that I will buy fabric at Joanns, but visually, it is just easier to shop at a LQS and the fabric there always passes the touch test. I am working with a piece of fabric right now I bought from my LQS when she was going out of business, it is like butter in my hand, the nicest fabric I have ever worked with as far as passing the touch test. I wish I coud find more of it.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:02 AM

I've bought very nice fabrics from Hancock's and JoAnns, and then some not so not. The diifference for me is the consistency of the beautiful fabrics in the quilt shops AND knowledgeable people who provide excellent service. I can't speak for all JoAnn stores, but the staff in ours knows nada...if you can even find someone to ask a question to.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:29 AM

where ever you buy fabric, make sure the feel of it is good, and you can't see thru it. I have bought fabric from a quilt shop that was thinner than either Joanns or Walmart.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:02 AM

I go to a wholesale fabric place here and it provides to both quilt shops and Joanns. Same fabric. What was explained sometimes, places like WM get it cheeper, since not all the processing is done to the fabric. The feel and color may be a little different, since the same processing was not done to both. I know I got a panel at a local quilt shop for about $9 and the same one from WM for $5. When I was the both of them, the WM one faded really bad, the LQS did not. I have not had this problem with fabric from Joanns or Hancocks. But I do watch the quality of what I buy there.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:29 AM

We care about you and NOT just the bottom line. ALL of our fabric is high quality- you KNOW you are getting high value for a reasonable price. Our fabric is wondeful to the touch! It's been carefully handled with upmost love and care. Our fabric is also CLEAN! We don't have the multitudes of ..humans... touching it! ! Maybe it's like getting a cupcake at Walmart or from your privately owned bakery. I prefer privately owned myself. We take personal responsibility for the ..YUMMINESS.. of our fabric! We will hunt and try to find a certain fabric JUST for you! We will spend our time helping you choose colors and styles that give your quilt the look and feel that you are inspired to create. WE CARE. We aren't in fabric as a Walmart assoicate would be. We're here because we LOVE fabric..and quilts..and quilters!
Old 03-11-2013, 07:07 AM

I consider some of Joann fabrics as lesser quality. I find that some fabrics with the Joann brand name are not printed straight. I also find that the weave is sometimes off. And Joann doesn't carry the higher end manufacturers like Moda and Robert Kaufman. I still purchase from them, but I spend a lot more time scrutinizing the fabric before purchase. Buyer beware!!