Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Do You Use? >

What Do You Use?

What Do You Use?

Old 03-14-2013, 04:47 AM

I use Thermore light. It is also great in clothing where you want darts, zippers and buttonholes. Combined with organza for a backing it can't be beat.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:20 AM

I use flannel only as a batting and it works great since I only do serger and rag quilts - not to hard on either of my machines.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by oma66 View Post
Here in AZ we find using a good quality flannel works well for a summer quilt. I have been looking for sheet blankets, but can not find them anywhere. Does anyone else remember sheet blankets we used in the summer on our beds? That was what we used on our beds in NY in the summer. If I am remembering correctly, they were made of a light weight flannel. Am I right? They would also work in place of regular batting.
Ther are always people using these in my area of Ontario Canada so I know they are still around. There --I am now in Florida --I see them in colors and while with stripes were the older version. Available in fall often so maybe if I see them for sale I should buy some . If I find them I will try and write a post here for everyone. Otherwise try
Vermont Country Store.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by oma66 View Post
Here in AZ we find using a good quality flannel works well for a summer quilt. I have been looking for sheet blankets, but can not find them anywhere. Does anyone else remember sheet blankets we used in the summer on our beds? That was what we used on our beds in NY in the summer. If I am remembering correctly, they were made of a light weight flannel. Am I right? They would also work in place of regular batting.
I think you mean Ibex blankets. You can find them on http://cantexdistribution.com.vpaspw...annel-Blanket/. I have a few in my linen closet and use them for many different purposes. They would probably make great "batting" for a summer quilt.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:51 AM

I have made light weight quilts using felt (craft felt) it is sold by the yard and I believe it is 72" wide.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:57 PM

I highly recommend flannel for the backing na summer quilt, with no batting, use light flannel and prewash as it will shrink. cmaras
Old 03-19-2013, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
Vermont Country Store still sells flannel sheet blankets. I love their catalog for a lot of old time goodies.
I will look up their catalog on line. Thank you so much for the information.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by canuckninepatch View Post
I think you mean Ibex blankets. You can find them on http://cantexdistribution.com.vpaspw...annel-Blanket/. I have a few in my linen closet and use them for many different purposes. They would probably make great "batting" for a summer quilt.
I have never heard of an Ibex blanket. I did go one line and saw the blanket. It says it is a heavy weight and that is not what we used when I was a child, but they look like they would make for a great batting. Thanks for the information. I will keep it in mind. The cost is $25.00 which is more than what I normally spend on batting (on sale of course) but I do like the looks of the blanket.