Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt as you go methods >

Quilt as you go methods

Quilt as you go methods

Old 03-13-2013, 07:45 PM

I have made a few QAYGs and I was happy enough with the methods and with the way they look (especially one that reverses to different colors) but was not thrilled with their stiffness upon completion. Definitely not cuddly, but probably okay for a bed or wall hanging. However, I have not washed them...so there's a possibility they will soften up.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:25 AM

Basically this is how I do my QAYG too. You just have to find what works for you.
a couple of years ago we were at our cabin & I had just seen a method like this here on the boars.
I layered my quilt sandwich on a queen bed, the quilt top was in rows. The batting was fusible.
I had the ironing board in there & a sewing machine. I pressed down the center row with steam to fuse.
then I took 1 side, put it face down on the center row with seams alined.
Lifted the sewing machine on the ironing board & sewed the seam. Put the machine on the floor, pressed the seam, then did the next row.
after the side rows were on , I attached the long side borders. Next came top & bottom borders with corner stones. Forgot to mention that the side rows already had the sashing attached to 1 side & the center had sashing on both sides.
Anyway, easiest quilt I ever assembled. But then I had to quilt it. So the next time I changed the method & did it at our main home & with each row did the quilting before adding the next row. So now that's how I do it.
good luck, and just keep trying
Old 03-14-2013, 02:48 AM
Power Poster

I am so wanting to try QAYG but don't have the nerve. Can't afford the books. Is there a video that you can watch?
Old 03-14-2013, 03:33 AM

I QAYG in strips. Sometimes the strips are only one block wide other times they are several - just depends on what the design is. I like working the sidth od the quilt by about 18 inches deep. Seams that join the sections are not really too noticable once the quilt has been used & washed. At least I've had no complaints
Old 03-14-2013, 03:41 AM

Someone at sometime in the past was talking about a QAYG method that sounded very much like foundation piecing only using your backing with the batting over it as the foundation. I'm thinking if trying this and seeing how it works. I'm supposing this method was done as either individual blocks or else as strips.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Ranchwife View Post
I'm going to start a quilt tomorrow that will be a QAYG. I'm planning on using the method described in this video. I hope it turns out ok. I don't want to have to quilt the whole thing or pay to have it done, so I'm hoping this method works well. In my mind, I don't see why it wouldn't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_qyb7XxY4k
I have seen this video, however the draw back is that you are doing it a block at a time, however you can adapt this concept to larger units and then hand join the backing which is what I usually do, however it sometimes depends on the design of the quilt, those on point present a different challenge.
Hugs Pat
Old 03-14-2013, 08:36 AM

Leah Day has a good tutorial on her website, daystyledesigns. I just finished a t-shirt quilt using her method and it turned out beautifully. No bulky seams or problems covering edges.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:34 AM

i just love love your avitar.. was it difficult and do you now the name... beautiful....
Old 03-14-2013, 10:54 AM

There are many videos for QAYG, just "Google" Quilt As You Go Methods, Craftsy have a class by Ann Peterson, a lot of people say that their quilts are too stiff, the reason is all quilts will be stiff if you "Overquilt" them. I am doing a quilt re the Ann Peterson method from Craftsy very happy with it, will post a picture when I have completed it.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by mom-6 View Post
Someone at sometime in the past was talking about a QAYG method that sounded very much like foundation piecing only using your backing with the batting over it as the foundation. I'm thinking if trying this and seeing how it works. I'm supposing this method was done as either individual blocks or else as strips.
I have done a couple Log Cabins this way. Yes, individual blocks. No sashing. Made the back of each block larger by an inch or so, and turned it as if hemming a garment. Did the "hemming by hand, Was easy to do.