Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has Anyone Ever Used One of These? >

Has Anyone Ever Used One of These?

Has Anyone Ever Used One of These?

Old 03-14-2013, 11:07 AM

Only used mine twice and stored it in the garage...width is too small and getting the rythum of 'gliding' my 930 Bernina just never happened. I agree with Prism, fold it up and FM. I have better results seated too.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:45 AM

I bought one from a lady on here about 2 yrs ago. I was so excited but now I wouldn't do it. I gave lessons at my
quilt group but the older ladies decided they wouldn't do it.
I put on 60 inch long 2 in sq log rolls so I could do longer quilts than the 45". My problem is I live in small quarters so it's a problem when that (60 in) --5 ft 2 x 2 sticks out from the table. So in other words that length
goes from the left of my machine to the right of my machine. I have to let it hang over my desk when it goes to the
right. But, you have to support it anyway --can't let it lay on the desk.
Wish I never would have bought it but I am sure the lady is glad that I did. If I had a big basement like spot I think
I could set it up and use it more. It does help with time. Have a Brother 1500 D for Harp size !!!!
Old 03-14-2013, 11:50 AM

It does not work. Don't waste your money. Too narrow to do anything but straight lines or swirls. Everyone I know who tried it felt it was a waste.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:01 PM

Agree with everyone on using your domestic. Put a folding table behind your machine to take the weight and puddle or accordian pleat the quilt.
I don't know how much the Flynn is, but I would rather buy a midarm machine (9" or larger) with the money. They work really well. I have made queen size on mine and a king could be done if I did it in two sections.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:02 PM

Default John Flynn frame

You can buy wider pvc pipe to use with the John Flynn frame. They provide the 48" to save on shipping. A handy person could actually make one...they ride of large pvc pipe.

Originally Posted by DonnaFreak View Post
Howdy y'all :c)

There has been a lot of talk on here about quilting a large quilt on a small, domestic machine. I know to roll up a quilt to work with it, but that can still be tough at times. Nancy's Notions has a quilting frame that is made for regular sewing machines. I've been looking at it for a while, but I can't afford it if it doesn't work as claimed. Here is a link to the one I'm talking about:

http://www.nancysnotions.com/product...rame+system.do

Has anyone ever used this, or one like it? I'd be really interested in hearing opinions about it. Thanks y'all. You guys ROCK!! :c)

Donna
Old 03-14-2013, 12:38 PM

I'm a minority here. I've had one for several years and have bought the longer poles to fit the different size quilts I've made. I have actually quilted hundreds of quilts on the Flynn Frame ranging from Quilts for Kids to bed queen quilts on this frame. Yes...there is a learning curve but it's that how it is is with any new thing we learn? You can't expect to master it after trying a few times and deciding it's to hard. For me it is so fast and effortless to quilt a quilt. I love mine and would like to have an extra backup one.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:36 PM

I have a Flynn frame and have quilted many king and queen size quilts on it, not to mention smaller quilts. All you have to do is get bigger wood rails, which are not that expensive, from the lumber store. If you want to do a smaller quilt, use the smaller rails. It is easy to use and good for basting. It does require space.

I have knee problems and can't stand long, but when I previously could, I often used this frame. You put the machine perpendicular to you, needle facing you. Any machine will do. You put PVC pipe lengths under the frame so it moves smoothly. I used to stand and steer it with my hips. It's easy. You can do any quilting pattern up to the width of your harp. In fact, if I can do a sitting system, I'll be using it again, and almost exclusively.

Let me tell you how it saved the day for me on one quilt. I make a lot of quilts for homeless people. I bought a top at a tag sale without looking closely at it, thinking it would save me some work. When I got it home, I saw it was more than 7 feet long and about 100 inches wide. It had a zillion very small pieces, and the seams were popping on most of them. What was I going to do with this mess? I got a warm back for it and warm batting, and put back, batting, and top on the Flynn Frame. It's very easy for one person to do. Because the pieces were so small and the seams went every which way, I decided to do a micro stippling job on it. Standing and steering with my hips, I did this easily. It took 12 hours. I crossed every seam at least twice. That baby was not going to come apart. I bound it and took it to the homeless shelter with other quilts, thinking it was easily the most ugly quilt I had ever seen. It had green and orange and purple and brown and absolutely everything else, with no plain fabric on which to rest the eyes and no pattern I could find. I did not expect anyone to want it. But a young man named Bill, 14 years old and 6'11 inches tall already, approached me and shyly asked for the quilt. He explained that they only had one blanket there, and no heat at night. He was always too cold to sleep. If his feet were covered, his chest was not, and vice versa. So of course, I gave him this very warm, densely quilted quilt. He took it in his arms, ran his fingers over it, and a look of awe came over his face. "Ma'am?" he said, "Ma'am, this is the prettiest quilt I've ever seen!"

So I do recommend this frame and, furthermore, I recommend anything that John Flynn does. He is an engineer who thoroughly thinks things out before releasing them, and makes many prototypes before releasing any product. And yes, I am fortunate enough to know him. He showed me how to use the frame himself, but that is not necessary. It is easy enough to learn. It's easy to assemble, and easy to use. For the money, you can't beat this frame!

Cricket
Old 03-14-2013, 03:41 PM

I had one....got rid of it because it is more trouble than it's worth in my opinion.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:14 PM

My daughter who has been quilting for about 18 years bought one about 8 years ago. Never could set it up properly and ended up giving it to her quilt guild for their annual auction.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:04 PM

I have one, and used it as shown on the dvd instructions, but I used it on a ping pong table top. The theory is great but I had trouble coordinating the way it had to roll on the supporting tubes. Now I'm in a smaller place and my quilts are bigger than the rods I now have. Might try it on a smaller quilt but I haven't done one of those for a while. I bought a cheaper kit and supplied my own rods from Lowes. It would take a LOT of practice in my opinion to look good.