Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trash To Treasure >

Trash To Treasure

Trash To Treasure

Old 03-16-2013, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Ellageo View Post
If you like the repurpose idea..ya' gotta' watch Flea Market Flip, on HGTV, I believe it's on Friday nights @ 9:00. Check your local TV Guide. It is SEW much fun to watch, & you get good ideas! They make tables, cabinets, etc out of all kinds of neat items!
Junk Gypsies on GAC is great to watch, also.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Everyone in my family knows to ask me if they can throw something in the trash. "It ain't garbage, until Mama says it's garbage!"
Tartan, I like the way you think. Something "repurposed" is so much fun.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Everyone in my family knows to ask me if they can throw something in the trash. "It ain't garbage, until Mama says it's garbage!"
like this one, that's my motto also:
Old 03-16-2013, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by QM View Post
When I was young and rather broke, our town had one night a year for each section when people could put out anything they wanted to dispose of. I got a large kitchen worth of cabinets with which I transformed my basement into a fine sewing area. Other people put out carpet, light fixtures, etc. to make it a lovely work area. My Dad and I were regular raiders on those nights.
Heck, that is a great idea now!
Old 03-16-2013, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
We were in a Lowe's Hardware store and they were selling their base kitchen cabinets for 75% off because of some minor damage. We bought 3 sets and went to a Habitat for Humanity and bought a counter top for $19 to cover them, about 8' long. My son wanted to get rid of his desk in the same wood as the cabinets so I use that for my thinking desk, all the drawers have utensil dividers and they hold my cutters, scissors etc. I use baskets on top of the desk to hold current projects and fabric. The curtains are from a thrift store. Went to a hardware store and they were selling their wood cabinets and I painted it white and it holds about 500+ FQ's. Quilt tops go on top and in the cabinets below are batting and extra fabric. I have 3 of those white plastic roll cabinets with several size drawers and each one holds something like ribbon, elastic, thread, small scrapes etc. I repurpose everything. Our trash is just one small bag a week while our recycling can is filled to the brim.
Habitat for Humanity is a Great Store!!!

I picked up an old green desk there and a large piece of wood that has a slick surface. We set the desk out from the corner, leveled the piece of wood and put it on top. The area is large that it holds small shelves on the back where I put all my books, patterns and odds and ends. I still want to recess the machine, but it works for now. I also have an old four drawer chest that the DH put a 2x12 on top for my cutting mat. I covered it with some fabric and it works great. Although lately I use a small utility table by the machine for my mat at the other thing is a catch all. LOL

Here are some messy pics!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]402069[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]402071[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo-0001.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	402069   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo-0002.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	402071  

Last edited by reeskylr; 03-16-2013 at 09:37 AM. Reason: add pics
Old 03-16-2013, 12:15 PM

Bought a computer table with lower keyboard area that will hold machine, less than half ($50.00) price of new one, then tennants moved out and left a big computer table suitable for cutting, no lower keyboard area, but other than fact one folds and one does, same color and height. Just wish I had a place to put them in our house. Still working on that.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:25 PM

I brought in a wooden file cabinet that is in three sections. It was full of old eye glasses, correspondence from the early 1900's and all kinds of goodies. Most of the old stuff is still in the cabinet but the small drawers (6 in all) hold my bead collection. In my sewing room I have base cupboards from Lowe's on top of that we brought in an old kitchen cupboard with glass doors, complete with cup hooks - it holds most of my small sewing items. Each piece is probably 75-80 years old.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Diannia View Post
I got a mauve kitchen counter "thingy" that spins and has lots of holes in it for utensils from a yard sale. It now sits on my sewing table holding all my pens, pencils, scissors, etc. I also got a wooden shadow box that had plexiglass on it. It now is on my wall, minus the plexiglass, and holds my mid-arm threads and pins. I have 2 lawyers bookcases (1 from an estate sale and 1 from Craigslist) that hold most of my fabrics. Oh and DH brought home 2 plexiglass storage cabinets from the store he works at. They have locks on them. I put pretty paper on the shelves and store my extra rotary cutters and scissors in them on my sewing table (keeps the grandkids safe).

Diannia

Diannia
I have one of those revolving kitchen "thingies" too and it works great for pens, scissors, seam rippers & just all kinds of little things.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by SmickChick View Post
I got a library table (extremely study) at an auction for $65. We cut a hole in it, and recessed my machine. Hadn't sewn with a "built in" for 25 years, and forgot how GREAT it is!
We did the same thing with a very large desk. My dh also made a cover that will fit into the cut out area in case I need to take the machine out and use another machine on top of the desk. er - sewing table LOL.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:00 PM

I am so inspired by all your ideas! Can't wait to go treasure hunting!!