Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trash To Treasure >

Trash To Treasure

Trash To Treasure

Old 03-16-2013, 04:06 PM

I got an ironing board that hangs on a door at a yard sale & the folding part was no good. I took off the cover & pad so now it lays over 2 brackets ( meant for a shelf ) & I use s-hooks to hang my rulers, stencils, & other items on. It hangs over my cutting table.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:21 PM

I have used SO many thrift things in my sewing room. I just LOVE to take something that in no way looks like it should belong in a sewing room and make it "fit" in my room. I have: A tin box lid inside a fabric frame that I made, using the inside of the lid for a white board; a batter bowl holding 1930s hexies; a candy jar holding buttons, a cookie tin holding other hexies; the bottom of the tin box holding envelopes; a milk jug holding pens and my paper scissors; an old brass trunk holding cut up jeans; an old picture made into a pin board; a Brighton tin holding pins (held to the pin board frame with a magnet); a stackable gift box set painted to match the room and holding sewing accessories; a glass jar holding colored pencils; a lumbar pillow stuffed with unused old knee high stockings; a six sectioned carrier with a drug name on it painted to match the room and holding sewing tools; two shotglasses wth the magnet from inside a computer hard drive epoxied on used to hold pins; a "wet wipes" container to hold water to remove marking pen quilt lines; an old galvanized bucket to hold my scraps at my cutting table; plastic peanut butter jars to hold basting pins, hair ties and pony tail holders; a toilet paper dispenser to hold binding; cookie tins to hold older spools of thread and zippers; a small cutting board to use for gluing; a utensil tray to hold small rolls of ribbon; a day of the week pill holder for small findings and grommets; clear plastic containers (the lids all spray painted to match the room) to hold scrap pieces that have been cut to specific sizes; a rolling kitchen cart to hold more sewing stuff. I know there are more "redone" items, but I'm not thinking of them!
Old 03-16-2013, 06:33 PM

52 oz clear plastic containers from Kirkland brand peanut butter filled pretzels for strings, separate one for each color. See previous post "WIP string quilt"
Old 03-17-2013, 04:15 AM
sap

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Everyone in my family knows to ask me if they can throw something in the trash. "It ain't garbage, until Mama says it's garbage!"
I'm with u Tartan! I always told my 4 boys "what ma wants, ma gets."
Old 03-17-2013, 04:25 AM
Power Poster

Oh and as far as vintage and purpose - by all means use a vintage sewing machine of some kind!!!
Old 03-17-2013, 04:35 AM

Don't forget the garden. Anything that can hold dirt is a planter, toilet, bedpan, old shoes, chicken feeder.

Marcia
Old 03-17-2013, 04:36 AM

I'm getting tons of ideas on Pinterest for reusing. I am a junkaholic/thriftaholic. They are using old doors, shutters, empty candle jars........great ideas to reuse instead of trash.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:57 AM
Power Poster

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/zip/3686134398.html
Wouldn't this make nice in a sewing room! and it is free!
Old 03-17-2013, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/zip/3686134398.html
Wouldn't this make nice in a sewing room! and it is free!
Oh my goodness miriam, that just makes my thrifty heart go all aflutter!! If I lived near Indianapolis I would be all over that, lol.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:14 AM
Power Poster

If I had room for it - I think if I could get rid of 40 sewing machine tables today - those would be mine....