Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trash To Treasure >

Trash To Treasure

Trash To Treasure

Old 03-17-2013, 09:19 AM

This is fantastic way to see and cover your thread.. like that turntable idea too...
Originally Posted by Ellageo View Post
This thread rack, was an old CD casette cabinet, quite narrow and not very useful..EXCEPT.. for my thread! A friend put pegs in a thin board & placed in the back..together we figured the spacing & tilt of the peg.
That round thing is the turntable from an old TV,a new top & I have a cutting mat that spins! for almost free, and those things are expensive. Repurpose is good!
Old 03-17-2013, 10:25 AM

When my neighbor redid her kitchen, I put her old cabinets, sans doors, on the walls of my sewing room. All the Tupperware & Rubbermaid containers that have 'lost' their tops hold sewing notions. I cut up a cutting mat I bought on sale & made a rotary mat by putting it on top of a kitchen rotary I found at a thrift store. I use another part of the mat at my sewing table when I'm paper piecing for triming. I cut a small piece to take in my portable kit to classes.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:52 PM

My work table is an old tobacco grading table I found in my parents barn. It was 6 foot and has a bench on one side. Just the right size to sit at and work. A friend has some counter top left from a job & put it on top extending the top to 48 inches! Makes a great table to work or sit at.
SandyGail
Old 03-17-2013, 03:16 PM
Power Poster

I have 2 sets of bed elevators that I got at Good Will. They were under two dollars each set....I find a lot of treasures at the thrift stores...my neighbor and I go every Wednesday, senior day...Good will is 25 percent off...
Old 03-17-2013, 03:22 PM

Thanks for the idea with the bed risers, I was watching my painter like a hawk for empty cans, I'm thinking the risers will be better support than the empty cans.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by yel View Post
the whole sewing room...lol
That is a good one.lol hehehe
Old 03-17-2013, 04:56 PM

Default Dishwasher in Sewing Room

Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
I use a large silverware tray in the drawer of my Horn cabinet to hold various sewing implements, keeps my drawer organized much better.
Purchased a "hook to sink" dishwasher on wheels cheap to have installed as soon as my built -in died. Well, it is still going, but the new one has rolled into the sewing room. It makes a wonderful cutting table with its wood top, but I also have an old formica table top which I add for big projects. It is wonderfully stable and rolls well. There is storage inside, also. I have old dishwasher racks on the wall to hold spools/cones of thread.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:07 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by overdew View Post
Purchased a "hook to sink" dishwasher on wheels cheap to have installed as soon as my built -in died. Well, it is still going, but the new one has rolled into the sewing room. It makes a wonderful cutting table with its wood top, but I also have an old formica table top which I add for big projects. It is wonderfully stable and rolls well. There is storage inside, also. I have old dishwasher racks on the wall to hold spools/cones of thread.
HHHMMMMM me thinks you could hide your valuables in there - no crook in his right mind would look in there... well, maybe.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:48 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by yel View Post
the whole sewing room...lol
practically my whole house is full of re-purposed items.
Come to think of it, I used to be something else too
Old 03-17-2013, 06:12 PM

I bought an old drying rack I put in my sewing room to use for strips when doing a log cabin. I've never taken it down, I hang cut pieces of fabric for projects, whole projects ready for quilting and leftover pieces from quilts in progress, so I don't use up the parts in case I need them. It's become a necessary accessory to my sewing room. I love thrift shop finds, I get template plastic, wire baskets (3 holding fat quarters), this weekend I got a Olifpa (not sure that's how it's spelled) ruler 5"x24" the one with the lip for the side of the cutting table for $.50. This girl loves a bargain.