Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trembling Hands >

Trembling Hands

Trembling Hands

Old 03-20-2013, 07:37 PM

My Mom has ET - never heard about the wrist weights - I think I'LL get some for her. If I were close I would cut for you. See if your local quilt guild would be of help to you. Good luck.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by garysgal View Post
Find a good chiropractor and have him x-ray your spine. If it envolves spinal nerves, he can help you. I had ET in my neck and my head bobbed. Now it is gone and my nerves are better. I had a curving in my spine that effected the nerves. It's worth a try.
I do have a tailbone injury from way back, the chiropractor found it in an ex-ray about 15 yrs ago. And I do have a problem with my neck, bothers me to look up for more than a few seconds. But unless I go to the chiropractor several times a week, it just doesn't do a lot of good. And with no medical insurance, treatments can get quite expensive when you are on a fixed income.

Thanks for all the suggestions and offers to cut my fabric. I am not quite ready to give up any part of the quilting process, but I know eventually I may have to ask a friend to do my cutting for me. This thread has given me much insight and I am amazed at how many people on here have or know someone with this disease. Essential Tremors has just recently been assigned a medical code by the insurance industry, so hopefully now more research will be done for the disease and new drugs developed especially for it. Hopefully the side effects won't be worse than the disease.......lol. I am 55 and have been sewing since the age of 12, not willing to give it up EVER. It is my therapy and escape. I am slow, but I've never been competitive so who cares as long as I finish a project eventually. This board and it's members are the greatest! HUGS to all!
Old 03-20-2013, 08:13 PM

Katherine Hepburn had tremors of some kind and she drank!! helped her but I wouldn't suggest that and cutting!.......................................... ........................................Katherine Hepburn had this very same thing. And alcohol in any form does help, because it is a central nervous system depressant, as is the medication which is prescribed for essential tremor. One thing to avoid is caffeine in any form, which makes it worse.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:46 AM

i was sitting in the neurologist's office waiting to see her about migraines. i picked up a magazine and the cover was about essential tremors. i noticed as i was reading, the magazine was bouncing up and down. i have to hold it far enough away due to presbyopia and the combination sometimes stops me. i love going out to eat, not. i have hit perfect strangers with peas and corn. i now know to always get a 'sticky' vegetable so i can eat the smaller ones without sharing across the room. i have arthritis in my hands too, and i swear by the accuquilt. i buy a die every now and then when they go on sale. i can crank some out for friends too. there is a lot of confusion about et and parkinson's, but to be honest, they seem practically the same. if it is progressive and involves all body parts and the voice, where's the difference? i wonder if , when i was in 6th grade and tried to do the balance beam, and nearly shook myself off the beam, if , in fact i had it then? not that it makes a difference. has anyone noticed a relationship of weather and shaking with et? i am amazed how many of us on this board have it, and fibromyalgia, and bad backs, and arthritis. i feel right at home! and the people who have indulged pets. there are so many more similarities than differences! birds of a feather flock together! lol
Old 03-21-2013, 04:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bakermom View Post
My mom has that. The OT recommended we buy her weights for her wrists . when she wears them she can hold eating utensils/cups without shaking and spilling. I don't know if it would make a difference for you but it might be worth a try. We found them at Walmart- fairly inexpensive- in the sporting goods area
This is a really fabulous idea!
Old 03-21-2013, 04:16 AM

Check around I bet you can find a cutting buddy. They could cut for you while you sew your quilt and you can sew while they cut both their quilts and your too. Besides think of all the friendship you can get with your cutting and sewing. WOW Good luck and hope you find a solution that works for you.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:28 AM

I've had ET since 8th grade (I'm 75). When it finally got really bad (in my 40's) I saw a neurologist who prescribed primidone (used for seizures) and propranolol (heart medication). They have worked really well, although I still shake
to varying degrees. Cutting fabric calms me, so hasn't been a problem. I plan on looking into the Fiskars when it comes out.
If you do try the medication route and it DOESN't work, try a different propranolol. Generics are not the same, no matter what you're told! Good luck. It's a pain, but there are worse things.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:18 AM

My DH has the same thing. The doctor put him on propranolol and diazepam and it made a lot of difference. He still has some shakes but nothing like they were. PM me if you want more info.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by beckalou View Post
I have a disease called Essential Tremors, the symptoms resemble Parkinsons Disease. My hands tremble uncontrollably only when I am trying to eat, cut veggies, cook, etc. When I am at rest, they are fine. I am finding it increasingly harder to cut my fabric using the rotary cutter. I am so afraid of cutting myself, and plan on purchasing a pair of Klutz Gloves to protect my hands. I know that eventually the tremors will become worse as it is a progressive disease.

My question: Is there anyone else on this board who has similar issues, and how do you get around the process of cutting your fabric. Hubby has eyesight issues, so he really can't help.
Beckalou, I too have the ET's have had them since I was 18 their start date, I'm 78 today. there are times that I just
want to scream but that won't help, I just work slower, found that larger objects I handle better than small. I cut very careful, I bought one of the Fisk strip cutters. It's the small one would like to get the larger one. they are like big paper cutters.
Straight pins are a big no no for me ,I have to use clips. Quilting I use safety pens the big ones.
Sorry you have to live with them, I worked full time for 35 years in the electronic industry managed some how or the other . Cut safely . Grace
Old 03-21-2013, 05:52 AM

I understand where you are coming from as I have advanced Parkinsons. Ask your doctor if DBS would help you. It is just for tremors and it has helped me a lot. I have 2 DBS and my quality of life has improved, especially my quilting.