Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How long does I take you? >

How long does I take you?

How long does I take you?

Old 03-22-2013, 01:24 AM

I have finished quilts in a very short time on occasion, even hand pieced and hand quilted a queen size in a matter of a couple months, and I also have ones that were started several years ago that I just can't seem to get finished. Did anyone say I might be ADD? Sometimes I just can't focus on any one thing for any length of time.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:33 AM

Some are quick; some are long. For me it usually depends on whether I have a (self-imposed) deadline or not. Last winter I did a baby quilt from cutting to finishing the binding in about 10 days - and that was all hand quilted. That said, I'm working on a large lap quilt now that is taking me months to hand quilt. It's for us and there is no deadline. And then again, I've done king size quilts in about 8 months. It just depends. Keep enjoying the process.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:47 AM

Oh Honey, I think your doing great. Here's my story, LOL When my daughter got engaged I had her quilt top done for her Bridal Shower. All pieced by hand, 3700 pieces. Then she gave it back to be quilted. I did reall good for awhile, worked on on a regular basis. Its heavily quilted, all by hand. The other day I got it out again, determined to get it finished. My goal is to get it finished by Sept. They will be celebrating their 20th anniversary!!!
Old 03-22-2013, 04:54 AM
Power Poster

Some go quickly while others do drag on! Sometimes I think it has to do with my feelings for that particular quilt.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer View Post
Oh Honey, I think your doing great. Here's my story, LOL When my daughter got engaged I had her quilt top done for her Bridal Shower. All pieced by hand, 3700 pieces. Then she gave it back to be quilted. I did reall good for awhile, worked on on a regular basis. Its heavily quilted, all by hand. The other day I got it out again, determined to get it finished. My goal is to get it finished by Sept. They will be celebrating their 20th anniversary!!!
Jackie, thank you for making me feel so much better! Hehe! I'm only 7 years behind! I guess I'm doing pretty good! LOL
Old 03-22-2013, 02:19 PM

Those of us who hand quilt love the process more than the end product, or at least that's what I tell myself. It's difficult to tell someone how long it takes to hand quilt a project. It depends on how much quilting you put in it and how often and how long your quilting sessions are. I'm finishing up a quilt that I've been working solely on two years. It took me 18 months to complete the applique and hand embroidery. I started quilting (1/4 - 1/2 inch grids in the background) last June. I was hoping to be finished by this June. However, the borders (with trapunto) are taking longer than I thought and I may not make that deadline. Have been working daily for about 4-7 hours on one side (borders measure 12-1/2 inches wide) for three weeks now and I don't have half of it done. I did a queen size Mariner's Compass that took me 5 years, but I made several other quilts in that time frame. So, it all depends ...
Just enjoy the process and don't worry about how long.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:55 PM

You are doing great. I have done 2 quilts and working on my 3rd. One was queen size DWR, I worked on it 4-8 hours a day trying to get it done for a quilt show. The quilting took close to a year and the machine piecing took about 8 years (I worked on other projects when I got sick of piecing arcs). I also hand quilted my Vintage Moments (sorry...I can't remember how long that took). I'm working on a twin size now.....a remembrance of my Mom.

I have made many quilts and usually FMQ them on the machine. I only hand quilt special items. I really do like doing the handwork. It is when I get my zen (or inner peace) back.

Just enjoy the process and don't judge yourself!
Old 03-22-2013, 02:57 PM

Just made the commitment this year to go back to quilting. Not that I've done many quilts. It did take me 9 months from start to finish on a Grandmothers Garden Quilt, all done by hand, but I was having so much fun with it. I used many of her cotton dresses, some of my mothers, and also found my High School Sweetheart dress my mom had made. ( And I'm 55- so you know how old that was). Well I only QID but I finished it. Now I'm HQ one that for the first time I'm using stenciled patterns, and I'm wondering why I'm going on the 3rd month quilting. As stated by others it's either "HAS" to done by a deadline, or it's just, well, relaxing to do and no big rush.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:32 AM

[QUOTE=Jackie Spencer;5945693]Oh Honey, I think your doing great. Here's my story, LOL When my daughter got engaged I had her quilt top done for her Bridal Shower. All pieced by hand, 3700 pieces. Then she gave it back to be quilted. I did reall good for awhile, worked on on a regular basis. Its heavily quilted, all by hand. The other day I got it out again, determined to get it finished. My goal is to get it finished by Sept. They will be celebrating their 20th anniversary!!![/QUOT.

All I can say is WOW!

I have been thinking of hand quilting one of my finished tops, for a change....have not h/q for several years....if I do, I hope I can finish in less than 20yrs. I don't want to do that math!
Old 03-23-2013, 04:14 AM

The handquilting is the part I like best. When working on a frame I quilt with both hands which speeds up the project and saves my other hand. I have handquilted a crib size quilt in about a week. I always have some kind of handwork going when I watch TV. Many years ago I worked for a shop that did custom dressmaking and alterations. They always gave me the handwork to do as I was fast and didn't mind. I don't think of quilting as work just something to keep my hands busy.