Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wholecloth quilters wanted.  What kind if place do I live in???? >

Wholecloth quilters wanted. What kind if place do I live in????

Wholecloth quilters wanted. What kind if place do I live in????

Old 03-22-2013, 01:26 PM

I was looking on line to see what is available and it seems they are rather rare - the on-line shops all seem to sell the same 9 quilts, only difference was the price. Will have to check out the vendor that goes to the quilt shows come September.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:56 PM

Why not design your own? Barbara Chainey's "Essential Quilter" has a section on how to. Also, Karen McTavish machine quilts some gorgeous whole cloths. Her book on "Whitework" is out of print, but you could probably find it at your local library. I read on another site that this book is quite expensive from some of the used book sellers. I happen to have it and while there are some beautiful quilts I didn't find much in the way of "how to." Of course, I'm a hand quilter and perhaps I missed something. Some years ago I bought a throw size preprinted wholecloth, but found the fabric to be extremely thin. I don't remember the brand name, but thought it was Benartex. I have at present a pattern drawn out on paper and the fabric on a shelf. I have a couple of projects to finish before I transfer it to fabric. A king size whole cloth and a strippy are on my bucket list.

Having said all that, if you google, Benartex Whole Cloth quilts, you will find sources from which to purchase.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:29 PM
Power Poster

just received a new Keepsake Quilter catalog in the mail- they have a couple different ones to choose from....I know there are others but can't think of them right now....why not design your own? start with a center medallion you like- then maybe a couple borders around it, then corners, side centers, negative space....i know easier said then done---not necessarily- start with a sketch pad- or an applique pattern you like & build around it....you may create a master piece!
Old 03-22-2013, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
I've not done one. I'm not nearly that skilled, but I admire the preprinted tops at

http://quiltingstencils.com/fullqueensize.aspx

They have them from pillow size to bed size. It's on my "some day" list.
great link, thank you
Old 03-22-2013, 05:14 PM

Just ran across this link in my email. Greta is a member of this board, I think.

http://cadouri-din-inima.blogspot.ro...-tutorial.html
Old 03-22-2013, 05:55 PM

Just a note of explanation on the price difference at Keepsake Quilting for Holice's wholecloth designs...KQ sells them as a kit that includes a matching backing and binding. They also have free shipping through March 31st with promo code KQGFREE. Backing is an additional cost at the other retailers. Just thought I'd mention it. http://quilting.keepsakequilting.com...h?w=wholecloth

Last edited by ghostrider; 03-22-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:39 AM

I have ordered from Christian Lane and I loved my wholecloth. After getting done with it I washed it and it was so soft. I am going to order another one. My queen was 60.00 and they have wallhangings 45.oo.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by familyfun View Post
I called 3 LQS. And none of them knew what a whole cloth quilt was.
How strange... I was wondering if anyone locally sold a preprinted top. Guess I am gonna have to order on line. Any website suggestions from those of you who have done them?
Hi Familyfun---Have you checked Helping Hands in Berlin? They have Whole cloth kits
Old 03-24-2013, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by familyfun View Post
I called 3 LQS. And none of them knew what a whole cloth quilt was.
How strange... I was wondering if anyone locally sold a preprinted top. Guess I am gonna have to order on line. Any website suggestions from those of you who have done them?
I got mine at Walmart. Its all houses in different shades of red. Also got one there that is all stars in different colors and patterns. I love them both. Already quilted the stars and fixin to start the houses.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:50 AM

Greta Grama has a tutorial on her website on how to make whole cloth quilts..you might want to check it out..