Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • starching ? >
  • starching ?

• starching ?

Old 03-23-2013, 03:00 PM

I never knew about starching fabrics, I am learning a lot today reading all the post. I wondered why my blocks would be all "cockeyed" not I know i have to add a new regiment to my process. I usually don't wash my fabrics before cutting, so does it matter if the fabric is washed or not when you startch it?
    Old 03-23-2013, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Shelbie
    I love starch but can't seem to find it in Canada. Every time I have a family member or friend heading to the States my request is the same Non aerosol Niagara Spray Starch ($1.77) at Target 22 fluid ounces as opposed to 16 ounce bottle of Best Press at $9.99 in Canada. I'd love a jug of the Sta-Flo but DD couldn't find it on her last trip. The starch definitely makes the fabric stiffer than the Best Press.
    Shelbie, you don't have to buy starch, it is super easy to make at home (just corn starch and water) and super inexpensive! My recipe for homemade starch is on page two of this thread.
    Old 03-23-2013, 03:26 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Gannyrosie
    I never knew about starching fabrics, I am learning a lot today reading all the post. I wondered why my blocks would be all "cockeyed" not I know i have to add a new regiment to my process. I usually don't wash my fabrics before cutting, so does it matter if the fabric is washed or not when you startch it?
    I don't wash my fabrics before cutting, but I still starch yardage to be used for backing or bias cut strips. Works fine for me.
    Old 03-23-2013, 03:28 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by CRO
    I see many have said they use a paint brush to apply the Sta-Flo in a 1-1 solution. Is it to thick to use in a sprayer at that dilution?
    It may depend on your sprayer. I think this dilution would be too heavy for me to use in a hand sprayer (my hand would get tired), but I see others use it in a sprayer. When I use the brush, I give the fabric a couple of minutes to absorb the starch solution. Seems to me a heavy solution like this might lie on top of the fabric longer (especially if fabric has not already been prewashed), making it slower to use at the ironing board.
    Old 03-23-2013, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Shelbie
    I love starch but can't seem to find it in Canada. Every time I have a family member or friend heading to the States my request is the same Non aerosol Niagara Spray Starch ($1.77) at Target 22 fluid ounces as opposed to 16 ounce bottle of Best Press at $9.99 in Canada. I'd love a jug of the Sta-Flo but DD couldn't find it on her last trip. The starch definitely makes the fabric stiffer than the Best Press.
    Granted not overly close to you but I go to Ottawa in Sept. If you're looking for Sta Flo I can bring some and mail while I'm in Canada...let me know.
    Old 03-23-2013, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
    It may depend on your sprayer. I think this dilution would be too heavy for me to use in a hand sprayer (my hand would get tired), but I see others use it in a sprayer. When I use the brush, I give the fabric a couple of minutes to absorb the starch solution. Seems to me a heavy solution like this might lie on top of the fabric longer (especially if fabric has not already been prewashed), making it slower to use at the ironing board.
    I use that ratio in a regular sprayer I picked up for about $2.00 in the home/garden section of Walmart. No problems whatsoever with the sprayer.
    Old 03-23-2013, 06:44 PM

After reading all of this just wanted to mention that I think it is very important to let the starch solution soak into the fabric prior to ironing for best results. If only I would listen to my own advice! I'm known to be impatient but it really does reduce the flaking/scorching by letting the starch soak into the fabric for a few minutes prior to ironing/pressing... Iron large pieces of fabric...press your blocks/seams.
    Old 03-25-2013, 03:54 AM
    Power Poster

Good info from many...thanks
    Old 03-25-2013, 04:34 AM

Never used Best Press, I like the Bounce spray best.
    Old 03-25-2013, 04:52 AM

best press is what I use the more times you spray the stiffer the fabric will get
    I do a lot of in the hoop and that is all I use
    best press does not mess up your iron like regular starch
    larry