Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Custom Sewing Table Insert >

Custom Sewing Table Insert

Custom Sewing Table Insert

Old 03-24-2013, 04:24 PM

Default Custom Sewing Table Insert

I'm so excited! I've just scored a new-to-me sewing table with electric lift (similar to a Horn 2156) on Craigslist! Now I'm trying to figure out how to build or buy an insert that will make my Janome 6600 flush with the surface of the table. The previous owner's insert was for a Bernina.

The cabinet is older and she did not know the make or model number. Should I just measure it and see if Sew Steady can make me a custom acrylic insert based on measurements of cutout and machine? Has anyone done this? Or is there any way to make one myself?
Old 03-24-2013, 04:26 PM

I'll be interested to see this too, as I just bought a new to me cabinet last week that I'm trying to get a custom insert made for. Mine is one made by Roberts Manufacturing. Kathy
Old 03-24-2013, 04:28 PM

When I got a new machine< I was able to order a new Horn insert...I dont' have a Horn machine, but they make inserts for every machine I think. The opening for the horn table is the same as my table. I just told them the model of my machine. I believe I got it from my Bernina dealer. I will do a search and come back if I can find anything else. Its been a long time ago, but I dont' remember it being more than about $25.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:35 PM

Try this link: Looks like you can put in your machine and your cabinet. They are on sale for $49

www.qualitysewing.com/ search for horn inserts
Old 03-24-2013, 04:54 PM

I went to a place called Tap Plastics which is a local business but you probably have a similar business where you live. They made me an insert much cheaper than a premade one.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:21 AM

I have an older 2136 Horn cabinet. Horn still has it listed with the outside dimensions for the cutout. I have a Pfaff, and had an Ellure. Had inserts for both.
I also have a Koala Lite cabinet. The original insert for the Pfaff was made for Koala, it fits the Horn exactly, and is now on the Koala Lite.

I just went through all this with the Brother 1500. Those cheaper inserts are made for the adjustable tables like the Arrow and the other table that is very well liked. The inside dimensions of the cutout DID NOT FIT either the Horn or Koala with the lift.

This is the standard cutout size from the Horn site.
18-13/16" X 11-3/16" cutout for sewing machines
They also have a lip.

The newer tables do have larger cutouts for the newer, bigger machines, but sounds like you have the traditional one.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:38 AM

Thanks for the responses everyone! This was all very helpful, especially yours Weezy Rider. My cutout measures 19.5 x 12, so I'm assuming it's either a non-standard cutout or the cabinet is not a Horn. Today I'm going to contact Allbrands and ask about their custom Sew Steady acrylic inserts. If that doesn't work, I'll try to find a local plastics business like the one recommended by BLAP.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:00 AM

Allbrands is where I have got mine or the nanufacturer directly. Dream World in Idaho, however they do not discount them or offer free shipping. Allbrands is the best choice
Old 03-25-2013, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Writergrrl View Post
I'm so excited! I've just scored a new-to-me sewing table with electric lift (similar to a Horn 2156) on Craigslist! Now I'm trying to figure out how to build or buy an insert that will make my Janome 6600 flush with the surface of the table. The previous owner's insert was for a Bernina.

The cabinet is older and she did not know the make or model number. Should I just measure it and see if Sew Steady can make me a custom acrylic insert based on measurements of cutout and machine? Has anyone done this? Or is there any way to make one myself?
I have a "Craig's List" sewing cabinet and just recently purchased a new Elna eXcellence 720. I put some books and rubber matting I had under the machine to lift the bed up and then fit the table that came with my machine on WITHOUT the legs. I had to tape down the outside (left) edge but it is working wonderfully well. I took a couple of pictures but don't think I can attach them to a quick reply. I'll post them separately.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:06 AM

Default Making generic sewing cabinet fit my new sewing machine

These are the pictures of how I made my cabinet work for my new machine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06773.JPG
Views:	6224
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	404321   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06775.JPG
Views:	5790
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	404322   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06774.JPG
Views:	5447
Size:	1.12 MB