Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
starching ? >

starching ?

starching ?

Old 03-25-2013, 08:54 AM

I am so glad I read this thread today. I did not know that I should let the starch dry a bit before ironing. No wonder my iron is a mess and I have flaking! I will start letting it soak in. I love Best Press, but don't live close to a store that sells it - like at least an hour drive one way. I had been buying the Niagara Non Aerosol Spray Starch and liked that, but do not find it in any of the stores around here. To those of you who use Niagara, what store do you get it at?
Old 03-25-2013, 09:12 AM

I just use regular Niagra starch. I spray the fabric (front/back doesn't matter) and let it soak in a few seconds (prevents that white residue on fabric) and then iron. If I'm making bias cuts spray before you cut to help keep them from stretching.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:34 AM

I too found the Sta-Flo starch 1:1 ratio works for me, Love the Best Press! But at that price, I save for our clothes..
I reused a Frebreze sprayer for my Sta-Flo mix and had left just a little Frebreeze left, it was a nice touch.
As a newbie I am going to play with all these tips and hints and see what works for me.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Suzette316 View Post
First, I make my own starch for several reasons:
1. I can make it for mere pennies per batch
2. I can make it as strong or weak as I want for that particular project
3. No additives, preservatives or anything else to plague me, family members with allergies, or the environment

It's simply place 1 teaspoon corn starch (more or less depending on how stiff you want your fabric to be) in a 2 cup glass measuring cup and dissolve it with a little bit of cool water.

Carefully add one cup boiling water, stir for 30 seconds, then add 1 cup cool tap water. Stir for another 30 seconds.

When cool enough to handle, pour into a spritzer bottle and you're good to go!

This will last up to a week, and give a shake before each spritz.

I spray the starch on the wrong side of my fabric (just personal preference), let it sit for 30 - 60 seconds (sometimes longer if I get distracted doing something else in my quilt room ), then press the fabric.
I use Sta Flo in the bottle & mix with water as needed. The reason I sometimes spray on the back and iron on the front is - if there is starch dandruff - it's on the back instead of front. I do this sometimes when ironing clothes and don't want to wait for the starch to soak in - and sometimes I spray & then rub it in with my hand.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:25 AM

I am a fan of Best Press, but recently found a wonderful spray starch at a grocery outlet...it's cheap, not any name brand and I can DROWN the fabric and there is no "starch dandruff" (love that description!!). Don't hesitate to try different brands....This stuff is about 1/4 the price of Best Press so I'll be buying some more of it.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Sam Poodles View Post
I am a fan of Best Press, but recently found a wonderful spray starch at a grocery outlet...it's cheap, not any name brand and I can DROWN the fabric and there is no "starch dandruff" (love that description!!). Don't hesitate to try different brands....This stuff is about 1/4 the price of Best Press so I'll be buying some more of it.
What is the name of the starch you found. I am always open to trying different brands. Thanks.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:38 AM

Sophie 2 - I usually get the Niagara non aerosol spray at Meijers or Target in the Detroit MI area - have also seen it at Walmart
Old 03-25-2013, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by costumegirl View Post
Sophie 2 - I usually get the Niagara non aerosol spray at Meijers or Target in the Detroit MI area - have also seen it at Walmart
Thanks, I'm heading to a Walmart this week. Our small town doesn't have much of a choice on spray starches. Guess no one uses it.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:54 PM
Power Poster

I only use the starch I make myself and I starch the wrong side...
Old 03-25-2013, 01:54 PM

I use Sta-Flo, as well. If I'm doing something with lots of bias edges, I make my concentration a little heavier than the 50-50 I normally use.