Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where to get fabric as a beginner? >

Where to get fabric as a beginner?

Where to get fabric as a beginner?

Old 03-27-2013, 06:10 AM

Sent out the word that you need fabric and it will find its way to your door, in addition to all the good suggestions on the board. Welcome to our world.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:12 AM

I love the fabrics at Connecting Threads.....great pricing, excellent customer service, good quality and wonderful sales on batting!
Old 03-27-2013, 06:50 AM

fabricdepot.com has a nice sale on and good prices. They are just catching up on order payments due some hacking on their shopping cart page. I ordered and haven't gotten it yet. Amy
Old 03-27-2013, 07:09 AM

Don't for get Thousands of Bolts....it has been a while since I bought from them, but had good service and good fabric when I did.

I have made one quilt by going to Good Will and buying Men's Large and XL shirts...or bigger if they have...I bought them on sale and made a quilt I showed in the pictures. And funny thing, I have started trying to get a collection together again from there. I look for shirts that are practically new. And try to get them on sale...if they are not on sale, it would be just as cheap to go to fabric store.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:07 AM
Power Poster

I think most of us started our stash by the fabric left over from quilts you make. As Sarah in Brooklyn suggests, Fabric.com and connecting threads.com have reasonable prices, as well as Hancock's of Paducah. I've found some good deals on clearances from some of the quilt shops in the Fab Shop Hop. While looking for the bunnies you can look for a stash. Welcome to the wonderful would of quilting.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:29 AM

i have found some at yard sales, flea markets, and also ebay.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:32 PM

Look for sales and try to stock up then. Fabric.com is a good place especially if you go to their quilting fabric, clearance section. Plus they will not charge shipping if you order at least $35.00 worth. I have bought material from them.

Garage sales are good too. Look for cotton material. I just got back from the Thrift store with over 15 yds of cotton material, ( brand new ). I have it in the washer at the moment.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:05 PM

You may want to look into online swapping sites. One site I've been a member of (no longer, though) is Swapbot.com. They have ongoing swaps for fabric by color, size, shape, or ready-made blocks and projects. One you might find helpful is called the stash builder swap. Each month is a different color-- you purchase one yard of two fabrics in that color family and cut it into fat quarters. You keep one and send the others to three partners who each send you two also. Pretty soon, you have a nice collection of FQs in lots of colors to pull from. It's free to join Swapbot, too!
meg
Old 03-27-2013, 01:17 PM

I was at Goodwill looking for fabric. No yardage there but I did notice bed skirts galore for 1.99 (twin)-3.99 (king). The fabric would equal several yards plus the white fabric of the bedskirt can be used too. I will continue to check the bed skirts when I go back.

ReStore always has many sheets to sell (some are new) as well as bed skirts, and some yardage.

If I am planning particular colors for a quilt, I go to Hancock's who is now having a 40% off quilting fabric sale, or to Hobby Lobby who always has their fabric for 30% off.

Welcome aboard and good luck.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:21 PM

Rosalynn, I live in Lonoke...but lived in NLR 30 plus yrs. I really like Hancock's in NLR. But, online there are many resources and a lot more variety. I have bought from Hobby Lobby and like their 30% off and they carry calicos and other suitable quilting fabric. also, a nice collection of solids. Homestead Hearth in Missouri has fab old looking fabrics. My DGD( a new quilter) lives southwest of LRock and goes to the one in Bryant. I have not been there however. Happy to see your post on the quilting board. I have bought from the quilt store in No Little Rock just a little and usually sale items. Last time I was there I saw Civil War era repro fabrics.