Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric not moving thru machine, I have a pfaff 2048 >

Fabric not moving thru machine, I have a pfaff 2048

Fabric not moving thru machine, I have a pfaff 2048

Old 03-26-2013, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Milli View Post

The motor in the machine was ceased, my Phaff 2048 that I paid $2500 for just got an offer for trade of $80??????
You def need to get another opinion. I see no reason why the motor can't be replaced. My local s.m. repairman rebuilt the motor in one of my Pfaff's...it was an older 1171--but a motor is a motor. Don't you let that machine go that easily...even if you buy a new one, keep it for later repair . Heck, the accessories are worth a lot more than that!!!!
Old 03-26-2013, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Teacup View Post
Oh no! The worst news possible. So sorry. How long have you had the machine? Gee, that wouldn't give me much confidence in buying another Phaff.
5 years, and the first year I lost the computer in it.
I'm thinking I have a lemon.
i wouldn't by another Phaff, I can see this become a boat anchor!
Old 03-26-2013, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
You def need to get another opinion. I see no reason why the motor can't be replaced. My local s.m. repairman rebuilt the motor in one of my Pfaff's...it was an older 1171--but a motor is a motor. Don't you let that machine go that easily...even if you buy a new one, keep it for later repair . Heck, the accessories are worth a lot more than that!!!!
No! I am definitely getting second opinion, and if I can't afford it right now, I do have a Kenmore.
thanks.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:59 PM

Oh, geeze Louise! My Pfaff has been doing a somewhat similar thing lately. It is time to take it in for servicing, and I've been putting it off. I don't want the news you received...OUCH! What are you going to do? Is there no way they can fix it...I mean, how much is a new motor (assuming all else is good)?
Old 03-26-2013, 06:35 PM

Does the motor run? Can you wind a bobbin? With the machine off try to move the fabric by turning the hand wheel instead of using the motor. A seized motor will usually make a hellacious sound and it should have given you some warning before it froze on you.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:49 PM

So sad for you, I have had 2 Pfaff's the first one is still going strong (with my DDIL) after 25 years. My new one is a dream, and neither one of them was "top of the line".
I hope you can find a good repairman.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:23 AM

So do I (hope you find a good repairman) Wish you could bring it to my repairman!! He is so fair and honest --a retired former maintenance for factory machines.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom View Post
Does the motor run? Can you wind a bobbin? With the machine off try to move the fabric by turning the hand wheel instead of using the motor. A seized motor will usually make a hellacious sound and it should have given you some warning before it froze on you.
Never got no warning, I was doing embroidery on a jean quilt and ran out of bobbin thread, rewound the bobbin and went to finish and the material would feed threw, the machine runs the feed dogs move up down forward and back , so weird sounds just purrs but don't move.
thanks for your interest.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by coopah View Post
Oh, geeze Louise! My Pfaff has been doing a somewhat similar thing lately. It is time to take it in for servicing, and I've been putting it off. I don't want the news you received...OUCH! What are you going to do? Is there no way they can fix it...I mean, how much is a new motor (assuming all else is good)?
A new motor is $300 plus labor. He i could sell it to HIM for $80, not gonna happen!
I will bide my time for a second opinion.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:03 PM

It has been said, but a worthwhile repairman is worth his/her weight in gold! I love my Pfaff and after 25 years the motor was rebuilt and now it is going strong again. Keep looking until you find a person who is not going to benefit personally from telling you it can't be fixed!