Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What did I get myself into?? >

What did I get myself into??

What did I get myself into??

Old 03-27-2013, 07:28 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by LoupEsprit View Post
The original idea was to have them color a picture for their moms, scan, and print on the iron-on paper and use it for the backing. But we decided against it, as sometimes the kids just scribble (the ones we KNOW can draw will not feel like it).

She would be paying for all supplies, and I would still be paid for my time as well, so I'm OK with doing it.

Good deal if you are getting paid for your supplies as well as time ... though would the parents appreciate something made for the kids .... and paid for out of their enrolment fees?

I would tend to think that parents would sooner have something poorly done by the kids, yet made with their ♥! Or am I off track here?
Old 03-27-2013, 07:34 PM

I think the idea for the gift is a good one, but I agree with Tartan. Let the kids do the decorating. Mother's will like it better.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:47 PM

Default kids and gifts for mom

I have taught art for 27 years and the kids STILL like it when I take the time to teach them a skill that ends in a gift! Quilting????????? That is an easy skill to teach, and THEY get the joy of doing and giving and YOU get to keep all of your hair in your head. I agree that I would respectfully decline to make all of them yourself. Good luck, politics is messy business no matter where you serve.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:48 PM
Power Poster

but the fact that the kids 'participated' by picking the fabric makes them special, right?

Really?
I'm missing a lot here.
I don't understand why a scribble from a child would not be wonderful to the mom and why the ones that are good at drawing won't 'feel like it' for a gift for their mom. I would not care about a gift made by someone and given to my child to give me as a gift from him/her. I have saved every Mother's Day gift made by my kids when in school from ugly to cute to wonderful but my kids made it themselves.
It's hard to understand this boss in the school and teacher of the art class don't understand the whole point of the child's efforts in the gift is what means so much to a mom.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:00 PM

Here at our school the children all are In Art class and they draw a picture. Then it's sent home with Arts by me and we can order a magnet or whatever. I think if you made them give them fabric markers to draw their picture on it. It will be awesome and very special to the mothers at least to me it would be. I would be grateful for the work you put into it and then the children draw on. It will make children feel they did make it no different in them drawing and sent away to be put on a magnet, poster, cup apron. It's just you doing the work. So go for it.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:01 PM

Let me whisper something in your ear. First of all, it is too late in the year to take on such a project! Would she do it? I know you would love to do it, but perhaps do it for another year (maybe Christmas rugs for Christmas gifts). But...if you are so inclined to follow her wishes, perhaps string blocks with a pocket as suggested before. The child could place something he/she has made for the mom in there. Or the child could use crayons to do something ON the pocket -- something small and simple, then the teacher could do the ironing and you could do the rugs. I know I sound harsh, but I am a retired first grade teacher and many times backed myself into a corner with my big ideas...this is a busy time of the school year with many end-of-the year activities. If you want to take this on, more power to you. It sounds like a great idea.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:36 PM

I thank that is a very generious offer. I would do if I were in your shoes. The muslin mug rugs is a great idea, them drawing (maybe a picture of their mom). They could also draw a heart for Love and their names. You might also have the children assemble the sandwich for the rugs. They could use their Elmers School Glue to keep the pieces together and you would only have to sew around the edges. Sometime I make the sandwich where the back and front are placed right sides together then sew the long sides, and turn them, top stitch down the long side and then sew the short side and clip those edges to fray. These are very fast.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:16 PM

Maybe have them do a handprint?
Old 03-27-2013, 09:37 PM

How about getting some fabric paint in a craft store. Then with adult supervision, paint the kids' palms and make handprints on muslin. You could have them all sewn and let the kids pick out the color. I'd do them really quick, pillowcase or birthing style. Simple X quilting. You're very brave to tackle such I big project.

Edited to say: I see mom6 had the same idea and posted while I was typing. Great idea mom6! LOL

Last edited by quiltsRfun; 03-27-2013 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by LoupEsprit View Post
OK, so for Christmas, I made mug rugs for each of my son's preschool teachers. Fast forward to now, and I work there as an assistant teacher/art instructor.

Apparently my boss loved them SO much, that she wants me to make them for EVERY child to give one to their moms for Mother's Day... That's about 62 kids!!

So, as I prepare to grab about a case of wine and move into my sewing room for the next month or so... Does anyone have any suggestions on making multiples? Favorite 'simple' pattern ideas?

Our thought was to buy a variety of material, and let the kids pick a few fabrics to make them out of. They won't look good together, most likely, but the fact that the kids 'participated' by picking the fabric makes them special, right?

The other thought we had was to put a small pocket on the front of each mugrug, and include a teabag along with the poem explaining what a mug rug is.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Basically, as long as it's not complicated piecing or applique, I'm open to suggestions!
My suggestion is a fine Merlot