Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trembling Hands >

Trembling Hands

Trembling Hands

Old 03-23-2013, 10:01 PM

My Mother had Essential Tremor, and so do I. For me, I find when it's bad the more support my arm can get the better. Are you in a Guild? You may find some friends there that can help you out. My Bee meets in our local quilt shop, and they have cutting tables set up with mats, we just bring our rotary cutters and specialty rulers. I have found the ruler that has all the slits every 1/2 inch for 12 inches is a favorite. The channel really helps you keep the rotary cutter in position. There isn't much walking of your hand, I fold my fabric in half again line it up and go from there. I've had pretty good success with that. On another topic on the board today they have someone that got a letter from Fiskars stating that they would be manufacturing a ruler that had a rotary cutter attached. The woman wanted to get if for her Grand daughter, she still had hers and loved it.

At one time I had a great deal of neurological pain and had trouble lifting and keeping my arms raised, I was really upset because this pretty much cancelled quilting for me. But I decided I just wasn't going to go down with out a fight, and tried hand piecing. I felt so victorious when I finally finished that quilt. I am so much better now, and this isn't an issue. I guess what I am trying to say, is what you are doing, trying to find a solution to this problem, is great. I thought the comment about the weights was quite interesting.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:37 PM

I have not found the family connection. As far as I know, no one else in my family has this. My sis, who is left handed like me, has dystonia. She has actual pain in her hand when she writes, but no tremors. I have tremors but no pain.

I guess my plan of action is to try the Tremodone. I tried Chelated Magnesium, but that didn't seem to help. I am also going to invest in a strip ruler and wait for the new Fiskars cutter to come out. In the meantime, I have plenty of UFO's to work on that will require minimum cutting.

When I originally posted, I never dreamt that there would be sooo many on this board who have, or know someone who has tremors. This disorder is a lot more prevalent than I realized. I have learned a lot from all who responded. I thank you all for your input, and hope that this thread has helped you as well.
Blessings
Old 03-26-2013, 02:41 PM

Essential tremor is when no one else in your family has it. If there is a family history I think it is called familia (spelling?) tremor.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:53 AM

as i've said, i have et, too. i thought it was very slight and not noticeable until one day a lady i was talking to asked me why my hands shook. shocking to me! i went to the e.r. from the shopping mall because i had double vision. while i waited to be seen my left leg started shaking wildly, and then my right arm! i thought, oh, no! this et is getting worse really fast! they rushed me in thinking i was having a stroke. but it turned out to be a complicated migraine. neurological problems are so strange. it's like parts of you are run by remote control. my dh was watching me use the computer and he told me i only needed to hit the key once. how nice that was, way back when, to have fingers that did what you want when you want. those days are gone. but it is not without its humorous side! i have hit family with flying vegetables. have dropped things suddenly and then over and over again, like bouncing a ball without the bounce. so far i have destroyed about 3 acrylic rulers by gouging into them, but haven't cut myself even once! threading needles is a little like a carnival game of chance. i think sometimes the angels take pity and help me, lol. i do have an accuquilt and without a doubt it has kept me going! it is expensive, but low-tech and easy to use. and very little chance of getting hurt. things take a little longer and are done a little less neatly, but bottom line is, they get done. i don't know how much longer my dh is going to let me do dishes-- probably until we are down to one of everything! paper plates just flip in the air so they're no good, and the same with plastic (solo) cups. i can see where weights could help. i've tried several drugs. one was so bad i was having terrifying nightmares and woke up screaming and crying. another took my sense of taste. nothing tasted like anything. recently i've noticed my head occaisionally shakes. i hope it makes me look very agreeable, like i'm saying 'yes. yes. of course.' there are so many things worse than this so i feel lucky it's not worse.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:20 AM

Has anyone on this thread had the doctor suggest the Deep Brain Stimulation surgery for ET? My hubby had a couple of neurologist suggest it. (Hubby was reluctant and waited seven years before he consented.) The first surgery for his right hand was such a success that he is like a kid waiting for Christmas anticipating the second surgery to help his left hand. Yes, there are warnings that accompany the surgery; however, for him, ET is so disabling, frustrating and annoying that he is ready to face it again after experiencing the improvement so far.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:26 AM

If there is a local quilt guild you may be able to enlist their assistance. They are usually willing to support other quilters.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:30 AM

I spoke with a friend yesterday who has the tremors much worse than me. She has to use a straw to drink coffee and was ready to give up eating at restaurants because of the embarassment she suffers when she sends her forkful of food flying. Her sister in law out east found some special weighted silverware. It works wonderfully, so I'm going to give it a try if I can find a source. lol, Nancia. It's great you can find humor with this, I try to do that as well. People don't realize that when they draw attention to your tremors, it makes it worse. I have finally gotten that through my hubby's head, he used to make comments to the clerks about it whenever I had to write a check or sign something. He seldom does that anymore. A few months ago, hubby had to have stitches. He noticed the doctors hand shaking and asked him if he had ET and how much did it bother him. The doctor replied, "Yes, I have ET and now that you've pointed it out you've made the tremor worse." HaHa, loved the response.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:00 AM
tmw

Originally Posted by beckalou View Post
I have a disease called Essential Tremors, the symptoms resemble Parkinsons Disease. My hands tremble uncontrollably only when I am trying to eat, cut veggies, cook, etc. When I am at rest, they are fine. I am finding it increasingly harder to cut my fabric using the rotary cutter. I am so afraid of cutting myself, and plan on purchasing a pair of Klutz Gloves to protect my hands. I know that eventually the tremors will become worse as it is a progressive disease.

My question: Is there anyone else on this board who has similar issues, and how do you get around the process of cutting your fabric. Hubby has eyesight issues, so he really can't help.
I just wanted to tell you what a dr. told my husband on his first visit to him,,, he said the tremors are a condition, not a disease. and they won't kill you. I try and remember this when I see my husband shaking really bad.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:39 AM

OMG!!! I have Essential Tremor in both hands. I also have involuntary jerking in parts of my body! I have been to TONS of doctors as my neurologic issues that started with walking like a clown with big feet has continued to progress to mild tremor in my left hand, then my right hand, now the tremors are getting worse. I used to be a transcriptionist typing 130 words per minute and now I hit keys I don't mean to hit because of the tremor and jerking. I am CONSTANTLY dragging and dropping things when my hand tremors on the mouse and my arm jerks. There are some things I have "dropped" so deep I've never found them! My neurologist told me the Essential Tremor was nothing to worry about. No one said anything about it progressing or including jerking or dropping things, etc. You mean this could all be related????? Ughhhhh
Old 03-28-2013, 10:42 AM

I've tried propranolol (still on it, actually) and it has not helped at all. Different strokes for different folks I guess....