Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with Binding Tool >

Help with Binding Tool

Help with Binding Tool

Old 03-28-2013, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by mom-6 View Post
Is the tool a foot for your machine or an aid in cutting and folding it? I have a foot for my machine but have not used it. There was one in "the box" when I was growing up too and only tried it once. Seemed harder than just doing it with a regular foot.
No, it is like a ruler with markings on it to make a perfect bias seam finish to join your binding when you are finished sewing the rest of the binding on. I can make a mitred corner with no trouble what so ever, but the final piecing of the binding is enough to give me a stroke. We all have areas in our lives where we excel or we struggle. I can't follow Richard Simmons dancing with the oldies videos either - I'm backwards brained.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Holice View Post
I don't know why anyone needs a tool for applying binding. Just as easy without any gadgets. I would like to be able to refer you to a tutorial but when I do it is always deleted.
I agree that I get better results without a gadget. I don't know the math formula, but if you're using folded binding, the amount of overlap that you need to make a mitered joint is exactly the full with of the binding.
For example, if you're using 2 1/2" strips for binding - folded in half and sewn on. You'll over lap the ending "tail" over the beginning "tail" by 2 1/2" Then unfold the end tail and place it right side up. Open up the end tail and place it right side down on top of the end tail so that the ends make a right angle. Pin in place. Sew a 45 degree angle across the point. Check it that you have it the right way before cutting off the tips. Refold and sew it down. You're ready to flip it over and handstitch it down.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:14 PM

I have both the Fons and Porter tool and the one demonstrated by Missouri Quilt Co. and I have never had any luck using them. The instructions are confusing with both and it seems like the ends never fit perfectly. Then I saw a video on YouTube that made it so simple. So, forget the binding tools! All you need to do is overlap the ends of the binding by however wide your binding strips were cut - e.g. if you use two and a half inch strips for the binding, then you overlap the ends by two and a half inches. Trim. The join the ends with a diagonal seam, trim the seam and finger press it open, and then finish sewing the binding to the quilt. Easy schmeezy and you get a perfectly smooth binding.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:50 PM

I also have the binding tool, but after seeing this tutorial and trying it, I think it is the easiest way I have ever seen to join binding. http://www.canoeridgecreations.com/2...-part-one.html
Old 03-28-2013, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by tjradj View Post
I agree that I get better results without a gadget. I don't know the math formula, but if you're using folded binding, the amount of overlap that you need to make a mitered joint is exactly the full with of the binding.
For example, if you're using 2 1/2" strips for binding - folded in half and sewn on. You'll over lap the ending "tail" over the beginning "tail" by 2 1/2" Then unfold the end tail and place it right side up. Open up the end tail and place it right side down on top of the end tail so that the ends make a right angle. Pin in place. Sew a 45 degree angle across the point. Check it that you have it the right way before cutting off the tips. Refold and sew it down. You're ready to flip it over and handstitch it down.
Originally Posted by spokanequilter View Post
I have both the Fons and Porter tool and the one demonstrated by Missouri Quilt Co. and I have never had any luck using them. The instructions are confusing with both and it seems like the ends never fit perfectly. Then I saw a video on YouTube that made it so simple. So, forget the binding tools! All you need to do is overlap the ends of the binding by however wide your binding strips were cut - e.g. if you use two and a half inch strips for the binding, then you overlap the ends by two and a half inches. Trim. The join the ends with a diagonal seam, trim the seam and finger press it open, and then finish sewing the binding to the quilt. Easy schmeezy and you get a perfectly smooth binding.
THIS helps me a great deal, thank you both! I always end up doing this awkward thing where I cut one to an angle and then try to sort of mesh the other side in...I get glue going to hold it all together and stitch...it always "sorta" works but I end up with a lumpy weird spot almost every time.

Such a simple tip...I'm actually kinda looking forward to binding my next quilt so I can try this out.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom View Post
This is the one tutorial from MSQCo I wish they would shoot from above Jenny as she is demonstrating how to use the binding tool. I have the tool and still screwed up my binding. I had unsewed it so many times and the fabric was so chewed up I had to remove the fabric on both sides and add new. I finally got it sorted out but it flat out should not be that hard! And don't even get me started on Leah Day's tutorial. I believe it boils down to I just suck at quilting but I keep plugging along because I like playing with fabric and sewing machines.
Hugs to you ---- you sound like me!!!
Old 03-29-2013, 08:57 AM

you use this ruler with the print side up, so that you can read it, cut one side, turn the ruler around and cut the other side, make sure you can still read the ruler. on one side you cut the triangle shape out, on the other side, there is a line, you cut a triangle shape up to that line