Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Cheating??? >
  • Cheating???

• Cheating???

Old 03-30-2013, 12:06 AM

Default Cheating???

I was speaking to someone who won grand prize at the county fair for her quilt. It was beautiful. But after talking to her she said she sent it out to be sandwiched quilted and binded. Is that not cheating? Or is that ok?
    Old 03-30-2013, 12:19 AM

I saw your post and had to do some research - I had no idea that quilts could be entered in shows that weren't all your own work!

Now I'm confused. Is it the piecer or the actual quilter that wins and how is it judged?

Does it make a difference then, if someone can afford to pay a LAQ for an intricate, expensive pattern and someone has a simpler pattern they've done themselves?

I'll be watching this post.
    Old 03-30-2013, 02:26 AM
    Power Poster

many entries even in big quilt shows are created (pieced) by one person and quilted by another---it is not 'cheating' it is fairly common practice---lots of people (even award winning ones) do not quilt their own quilts.
    it is also common practice (and kind of expected) for the quilt owner to give credit where due...and acknowledge /include the quilters name on their label and on their entry information...I often when visiting shows see beautiful quilts that say- 'quilt by_____________; quilted by;_____________
    I've even seen a few of the quilts i've quilted for others entered...unless the catagory it is entered in clearly states it has to be all your own work....but i've been to lots of shows and have entered lots....and have not seen that distinction...even hand quilted quilts are at times quilted by someone other than the person who pieced the top. i know ladies who hand quilt for others and do beautiful work worth 'showing' !
    Old 03-30-2013, 02:50 AM

I thought if someone else had quilted the quilt it was a 2 person quilt and both names or just a comment if paid, quilted by had to be on label.
    Old 03-30-2013, 03:07 AM
    QM
    Power Poster

In our quilt show, any such 'assists' change the category of the quilt and must be stated. what are the rules in your show? while it is possible this is an honest error, I doubt it.
    Old 03-30-2013, 05:21 AM
    Power Poster

It depends on the show/fair.
    You really need to see the class specifics.

I have entered at several fairs now and believe me, it's a nightmare to read and interpret all the "rules", and not just for the who made it part!!!!

Some are very specific that the entrant must have done ALL the work.
    Some allow you to enter if you pieced, and someone else quilted, and you must state their name.
    Some have classes for one ... and separate classes for the other.
    Sometimes only the piecing is judged.
    Sometimes only the quilting is judged.
    Some have them merged and/or in all sorts of combinations.
    Some will only award the Grand Champion to a quilt made solely by one person.
    Some will award the Grand to any quilt that has met it's class specifics.

And one Fair (with deluxe prize moneys), had taken a different approach to recognize phenomenal quilts ... you don't even have to put one stitch in the quilt. In your entry, you acknowledge who pieced it, quilted it, the original pattern designer, and the current owner.

So it really is all over the map on this ... and sometimes when you are at the show/fair the class specifications are not noted for the spectators to know the difference.

Last edited by QuiltE; 03-30-2013 at 05:34 AM.
    Old 03-30-2013, 05:30 AM
    Power Poster

It depends on the fair. Some fairs have categories for group effort or professionally quilted and if she entered it there, then it is okay. If she entered it as her own work, not so nice.
    Old 03-30-2013, 06:28 AM

It is a common practice. Check out the rules for that show\fair. Read them carefully.
    Old 03-30-2013, 06:37 AM

Please don't use the word "cheat". Someone told me I was a CHEATER...loudly and often, because I'm a machine quilter and not a hand quilter. Its SUCH a strong word. I was so upset, I cried. Now I'm just angry that I let that man's words cheapen the nice work I do. Everyone has their own opinions I know, but this is QUILTING..not surgery or rocket science. There is a place for ALL that we do. By the way, next time I show off a quilt, and his JAW drops, he might hear that he will NEVER get one of my quilts. And I did not picket his cabinet shop with signs that said he was a cheater because he uses POWER TOOLS instead of hand tools. ....ok...sorry! Off my soap box now...I love it ALL..hand, machine, quilt for hire, do all your own... we need to back ourselves up, not knock ourselves down.
    Old 03-30-2013, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by soccertxi
    Please don't use the word "cheat". Someone told me I was a CHEATER...loudly and often, because I'm a machine quilter and not a hand quilter. Its SUCH a strong word. I was so upset, I cried. Now I'm just angry that I let that man's words cheapen the nice work I do. Everyone has their own opinions I know, but this is QUILTING..not surgery or rocket science. There is a place for ALL that we do. By the way, next time I show off a quilt, and his JAW drops, he might hear that he will NEVER get one of my quilts. And I did not picket his cabinet shop with signs that said he was a cheater because he uses POWER TOOLS instead of hand tools. ....ok...sorry! Off my soap box now...I love it ALL..hand, machine, quilt for hire, do all your own... we need to back ourselves up, not knock ourselves down.
    Way to go, glad you got that off your chest. Even though I much prefer HQ'ng, cause I love the feel, the look, and the relaxation, MQ'ng to me is an 'art' on quilting. Not that it's not quilting, it just doesn't have the same feel when there's so much thread on it. I do feel though if there is a need there is a way. Don't let anyone ever condom you for your gift of sewing or how you interrupt an "art," they are both Art, HQ and FMQ. They are the same but different. Next time someone says you're Cheating, tell them, Well, so is a Debit Card.