Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what do you do with your scraps? >

what do you do with your scraps?

what do you do with your scraps?

Old 03-30-2013, 06:19 AM
Power Poster

Make memory balls (patchwork puzzle balls) as a reminder of the quilts we've made. Planning on scrappy quilt but haven't yet.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:28 AM

I got the book 101 Fabulous Small Quilts from That Patchwork Place and am only using my scraps to make the quilts. Some I changed the colors to what I had in my scrap boxes. So far I am up to #20 out of this book and I have 79 more to go. (I am not making two of them.)
Old 03-30-2013, 07:28 AM

I save anything larger than 1" to use in crumb, scrap, and string quilts.I usually use these as leader and enders. Snips, thread and tiny pieces go in pet beds for the local shelter.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by twinkie View Post
I make scrappy quilts with my scraps. I could make many with the amount of scraps I have. This is my favorite...
Twinkie, I love this! Both the piecing and quilting are great.

I enjoy making scrappy quilts. Sometimes I cut down my scraps into separate bins of same size squares or strips, as recommended by Bonnie Hunter. I like to use them as leaders and enders and then a scrappy top seems to go together effortlessly. I also like to use small scraps by sewing them onto adding machine paper and grocery store receipts.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Valerie Scherr View Post
I was wondering if any of the ladies that belong to guilds if they combine their scraps and make quilts or exchange scraps with their guild members. I was thinking that maybe if we combined our scraps we could make a few quilts for charities. Just wanted to know if any other guilds do this? I really hate to throw these scraps away I have 2 huge boxes .
My guild has a table set up at every meeting for "I don't want it, you can have it" things. Can find books, magazines, orphan blocks, bits and pieces - everything you have that someone else might use or want. I found some batik sashing and cornerstones at one meeting. Not enough to do a lot with, but I made an absolutely gorgeous purse from them.

I recently took the leftover 2-1/2" HSTs from a quilt I had made (there were over 250 of them) plus the leftover fabric. They got taken almost immediately.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:36 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by Rose_P View Post
Twinkie, I love this! Both the piecing and quilting are great.

I enjoy making scrappy quilts. Sometimes I cut down my scraps into separate bins of same size squares or strips, as recommended by Bonnie Hunter. I like to use them as leaders and enders and then a scrappy top seems to go together effortlessly. I also like to use small scraps by sewing them onto adding machine paper and grocery store receipts.
Hi. I've only been quilting for almost three years, so I am still pretty new and I hope I don't sound too dumb, but what are leaders and enders? Also, I have two huge tubs of scraps that I have not organized yet, but plan on following Bonnie Hunter's method. Thank you for listening and for always being here, even though I hardly ever write anything, I do read this board every day and I have learned alot from you wonderful quilters! Thank you!
Old 03-30-2013, 12:50 PM

Bonnie Hunter scrap quilt fan here! I cut up scraps according to her scrap method . . . mostly - I vary a little by cutting sizes I use on QFK quilts. I have a big tub of anything too small to cut into useful pieces and too big to throw out. Strings!! I have to add, it literally hurts me to thrown a piece of fabric away - no matter how small!! Hi, my name is Debbie and I'm addicted to fabric.....
Old 03-30-2013, 01:05 PM

Made my first scrappy quilt and it is addictive! I loved it and plan to make many more. I thought since it was just made out of my scraps that I would make one with a dark backing that the kids could take outside and I wouldn't have a heart attack. Check out Bonnie Hunter to see if there is one you'd like to make .... think you'll love it.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:25 PM

Hi Val, have a look at the following - Gail Hunt.com - this might be something you would like to learn, and a new fresh idea for your scraps - I sort my scraps into colors and intend on learning how to do this with mine.

Here are two from her website showing her technique and pictures for same:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X67xrvKOek

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIs75u5JUUE
Old 03-30-2013, 03:20 PM
Power Poster

I have a bag full of tiny scraps. Heard someone in the area collects them to stuff pet beds for no kill shelters. Just haven't found out who it is yet