Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Oh!  What Did I Do? >

Oh! What Did I Do?

Oh! What Did I Do?

Old 04-01-2013, 04:52 PM

I entered a quilt a long time ago, and the judges were very gentle. The all found something good to say before any negative comment. The only negative was that there was something wrong with my tension - so I was very happy! I hadn't noticed that, and I was glad to know it.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:30 PM

I don't enter shows because I'm a perpetual dabbler, but after reading through these comments, I have to agree with Tashana and quilter2090 that constructive criticism could and should be valuable. I don't think you need to take everything to heart, especially if there's a highly perfectionist quilt police type of critique, but try to let yourself judge the source of whatever words are laid on your work and see what you can learn from it. Tell yourself "NO FEAR - This is a quilt show, not a matter of life or death!" It may be that you will get a different point of view from hearing the critique that will be very encouraging. Also, keep in mind that since you already have a "rooter" telling you it's good enough to enter, maybe the real surprise for you will be rave reviews and a ribbon! It wouldn't surprise me to read that here. Hope you give us a follow up. Good luck and enjoy the show!
Old 04-02-2013, 03:41 AM

I love to enter my quilts wherever there's a show. Amazing to get the different critiques from the judges. I've had two different quilts "not do anything" in one show and then they both got "Best of Show" at yet another (local) show. I have fun making the quilts. I have yet to make a quilt that I sleep under though - I give them all away. The people that receive them like to know where it was shown and if a ribbon is awarded, that stays with the quilt!! I never make a quilt for the purpose of "showing" it. I do the best work I can on everything I make and if its good, its good and if "not so good" - Oh well...............
Old 04-02-2013, 04:07 AM

I've just looked this show up and it's at the university that our oldest dd just graduated from, RIT! We are local and hopefully it's not my weekend to work!
Old 04-02-2013, 04:13 AM

At our local show, you can either have it judged or just "show" it. I am sure it is gorgeous but I wouldn't want it to spoil quilting for you.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:19 AM

Go ahead and enter your quilt and think of comments as constructive criticism not negative feedback - some of the comments might help you with future ventures. Who knows you might be very surprised at what is being said – go enjoy the moment
Old 04-02-2013, 04:19 AM

Thank goodness our guilds quilt show is only viewers choice. The quilt maker does not have any comments pass on their work at all. But our community has a chance to vote for their favorite. No one knows how many votes they receive, so there is no negative comments.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:30 AM

I have entered a lot of stuff in our Minnesota State Fair. Some I didn't get a ribbon on, some I did. I have never entered a quilt yet, but over the years I have entered Crewel work, jams, jellies, pickles, chutneys, ceramic and porcelain work. I have won blue, red, white, pink ribbons. It has never deterred me and it has always encouraged me. Either you have the guts to enter or you don't. But you will never know unless you do! Just because you don't get a ribbon doesn't mean that you can't quilt. It just means that someone can quilt a little better and there is still some more learning to do. That's how I look at it. Most everyone forgets the exhibits at a fair or show, so who would ever even care except for you. There is the vanity, too. I love to look through the glass display cases and see my work, even if I didn't get a ribbon. That rush is unbelievable. So go ahead - enter it - have it judged. The judges do not know whose quilt it is. So you don't have to worry about that. Just do it and enjoy the moment. I think it is a real hoot to enter something, whatever, for judging. It is also a real education. You will find that some judges like one design over the other. Just because you prefer one over the other does not mean that it is not good. It means that they just have their own opinions and that is what judging is all about, isn't it? One person's opinion? GO FOR IT. Edie
Old 04-02-2013, 06:57 AM

I was walking through my guild's quilt show, when I heard a visitor say to her friend "This is the one I was talking about, it's my favorite." I turned around, and it was my quilt. Take that, judges! I say, go for it! Let your light shine.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:47 AM

The first time I entered a quilt I didn't get to go to the show (we lived in the mountains and the show was at the fair grounds quite a ways away). But our little community had our local quilts in a church right after the big show and I got to see it then. I couldn't find it!!! I asked and was told it was on the side of the platform where the piano was; it was also behind a big sign board! It was a "yin yang w/energy" baby quilt made with 1" pieces (finished) and the pieces that spun out from the yin yang had kiddie prints. I didn't know what to think and then it occurred to me that perhaps they thought it was something anti Christian. I'll never know, but it saddened me.

The next year I entered two quilts into the county show and got to go. They had "viewers" prizes and I won 3 ribbons for two quilts. One was Monet's garden and the other a Pacific NW colorful totem bear. There is no way any quilt of mine could ever win a judged prize! Most aren't really "art" quilts, just big pictures like my 6 foot bear, or tiny 1" squares like the garden. They please those who got them. I liked doing them. You'll never know if you don't join in on the show. I almost cried when I saw the garden quilt on a wall in a walk-way (it didn't show it's glory unless you were a few feet from it at least). That was the one that got 2 prizes!!! Go figure! Dare to show! You may learn something unexpected!