Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thank you for my gift!  Would you make me another ?? >

Thank you for my gift! Would you make me another ??

Thank you for my gift! Would you make me another ??

Old 04-03-2013, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Cogito View Post
I have a sister I love with all my heart! She is an artist and while she does beautiful work, she is mostly known locally. However, she does ask hefty prices for her artwork. I am not a huge fan of art you hang on the wall but a few years back I purchased one of her pieces at a showing and she gave me a family discount but it still cost me $500! The size is about 12" square. Now I only did this to be supportive of her and honestly, it was painful. Well.....she had been harassing me for some time about when was I gonna make her a quilt? She started saying it in front of others something like: "well she keeps promising me a quilt but I never see it!" then she lost most of her belongings in a house fire and I finally got around to making her the quilt. I gave it to her and I did intend it as a gift but to this day I have been upset buy the fact she just took it and said "thanks". It is as if she is the artist and what I do is just for play!
She will go on and on about the time and money she puts in her artwork and that she deserves to be compensated for it. I wonder if she has any idea of the time and money ($400) I put into making her quilt! I had to pay the long armer since I don't do that. I know she has to have some idea because of her own work, but for some reason, mine doesn't count...... Anyway, thanks for letting me vent, this has sooo bothered me!
I'd sell that painting and recoup the money for the quilt. Maybe add to the stash... have a "treat yourself day" and you'll feel a lot better.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:21 AM
Power Poster

I would price it to where I would make more than enough to compensate me for my time.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:29 AM

If I'm not interested in making more, I usually offer to teach them how to make it since I don't have a ton of time for my hobby and have many things I want to do. I have only had one person take me up on the offer.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:06 AM

Offer to assist them in making it themselves. Most times they do not have the time or do not want to make it. I have found very few that will make it with you. Works the best for me.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:58 AM
Power Poster

I made tree ornaments which were an easy inexpensive thing to do. I gave a set to a lady (one for each person in the family) and she asked for an extra for a person on her bowling team. I did it. She advised me that her team member loved it and THOUGHT she made it. When I asked her if she fessed up that she didn't make it ....she didn't!!! When will I learn with this individual???? (not the first time she has pulled tricks like this)
Old 04-04-2013, 04:58 AM

When I make a gift for someone, it is because I wanted to or it is my way of saying thank you. To be asked to make more would more or less negate my gift. I would probably say that making the one gave me pleasure and making more would be work; and, I am happily retired.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:32 AM

My friend asked me to make her a Queen sized quilt with decorative pillows. She said she'd pay for it. Of course since it is a close friend, I said pay for materials only.
$780.00 later (and that doesn't include travel and postage (add another $150.00) it is a specacular quilt, but I don't think she was expecting that. I didn't pay full price for anything, but quality quilts cost money. Now she wants a quilt for her daughter. I'm pretty uncomfortable with that. When I get the quilt back from the longarmer, I'll post a picture. It is Timeless Treasures Peacock blue and black. Spectacular!
Old 04-04-2013, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Nancyfarm View Post
It is Timeless Treasures Peacock blue and black. Spectacular!
I have been looking at that fabric for months now and talking myself out of the expense, because I know it will just sit. I can't wait to see the pictures of the quilt.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by quilter2090 View Post
There is a magic word that I use when someone wants me to do something I don't want to do. The word is NO, thank you. Try it! It works. You don't have to come up with an excuse,you really don't. Quilting is what you do for you, if you wanted to turn it into a second job, you probably wound have done it by now.
Oh. I so agree with this. I make Art Quilts. I was asked to make two tied full size quilts for an organization I belong to. These quilts are given to outstanding members each year, for all the volunteering they've done. I said,"No."
Old 04-04-2013, 07:12 AM

I've had that happen too. I just tell them that quilting/sewing is my hobby and I enjoy sharing with friends. If I start making for other people, it becomes work and takes the fun out of it. Everyone seems to understand fun vs. work.