Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilters under the age of 40?? >

Quilters under the age of 40??

Quilters under the age of 40??

Old 10-22-2009, 10:20 AM

I actually learned to knit in 3rd grade on a pair of pencils. I have always embroidered by hand; my aunt always gave me subscriptions to Workbasket magazine from the time I was 13 and before that she gave me her copy wfhen she was thru with it. Both my GMs quilted and sewed and my Granny embroidered and crocheted and made doll clothes. My mom used dto make clothes for me in school because I am a hard to fit type. Mom says except for sewing for me she would not pick up a needle except in self defense. Ha My younger sister sews and quilts . I taught my niece and we get together as often as possible. My husband taught me my crochet stitches...he bought me a book and hook and yarn and made me practice til I could do the stitches on com mand. He does not crochet . He says the stitches look like boy scout knots on sticks! My MIL taught me to put my stitches tog by talking me thru a butterfly pattern.That was the first time I did not have to cut my hook out of my stitches. I recieved a paper grocery bag full of pc goods from my Granny when I was about 8 yrs old. My mom thru them away the next time she cleaned the closet. My first completed knitted projest was a scarf for a little old man who swept the city streets after hours.It was winter time and very cold and i worried about him. I used my baby sitting money to buy handkerchiefs for his wife and gloves for him after I made his scarf. My older sister took me downtown one nite before Cmas to give him the box. Momma let me put cake, pie and fruit in it, too. I was 12 yrs old. When I was about 30 yrs old I made a baby quilt for a friends 1st grand child. I embroidered the top and quilted it in as many different colors as I had used in the embroidery. To my amazement that new mom entered my quilt in the state fair and I won 1st place and blue ribbon. I would rather do some kind of hand work than anything else I have ever known.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:03 PM

I'm 24 and have been quilting for a few years now, but sewing since I was only a few years old. I have an 11 month old and am expecting a baby in June, so I stay busy anymore and don't get to quilt as much as I would like to. I do many things that my brother, hubby and other people tease me about being an old lady but I've always been an old soul in a young woman's body...

Along with quilitng, I crochet, embroider, make jewelry and candles and paint. I love doing crafts. I grew up learning to sew with my grandma. The extent of my mom sewing was a button on a shirt or pair of pants. My great grandmothers and great aunts are also quilters and crafters.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:12 AM

I'm 30, but I caught the quilting bug at 23. My middle son was born and for my birthday that year, one month before he was born, my MIL helped me pick a very basic, very inexpensive (67.00) machine at Walmart. I had been bugging her for 5 years that I wanted to learn to sew. My birthday gift was a beginning quilting class at Hancock's. There were only 2 of us in the class. Myself at 23 and my classmate who was then in her 70's. We were fast friends and stayed that way.

I have been a member of 2 clubs and in both of them I am "the baby". My last group in OK ranged in age from 55-89 and then I took up the rear in my 20's. I talk about quilting to many people I come across my age. I'm hoping to pass this addiction onto others!

My kids are all big enough to know what's up when mom gets the machine out. My 8 year old is very artistic and is showing interest already. He's a boy, but it's been men on this board that have showed me men can quilt too, be very good at it, and very proud of it!!
Old 11-10-2009, 08:41 AM

I'm 36 and my daughter is 17. We both have just started quilting but we are loving it!
Old 11-10-2009, 08:46 AM
NLP

i am 26 and i have made 2 quilts so far i am working on my third right now i posted pictures of my first quilt. i love it it is so much fun. my mother-in-law got me into quilting.

Nikki
Old 11-10-2009, 10:34 AM

Aren't M-I-L's wonderful. Its like have a girlfriend with experience :D
My M-I-L got me into crocheting
Any of the fiber art skills are heirlooms that can be passed from generation to generation and don't take up space...sorta
Old 11-10-2009, 11:07 AM

I am now 57, but started quilting at 30.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:10 AM
Power Poster

When I started I was 38, but now I am 55.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:42 AM

Im 34!
Old 11-10-2009, 11:57 AM

I'm 26 yrs. old and just started quilting and learning to sew. Nobody in my family sews.