Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
hi everone  plz help a noobie  i dont no were to start 1st >

hi everone plz help a noobie i dont no were to start 1st

hi everone plz help a noobie i dont no were to start 1st

Old 04-07-2013, 03:53 AM

Good advice about mixing up the squares . You can lay them all out on the floor or on your bed to get an idea of how things will look when sewn together and move them around until they look good to you.

You could also cut yourself a few pieces of paper (or better, maybe, cardboard or an old greeting card) to help you stick to a consistent seam allowance. It might be easier to cut the piece so it's the size of your square minus one seam allowance; line it up with the edge opposite from where you're sewing so you can see where to sew.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:51 AM

I started out with graph paper, and designed a pattern. I used 3" squares. I took colored pencils, and colored in the boxes. Then I organized the squares based on the pattern. I sewed them in rows across. Then sewed the rows together.
Of course you can sew by hand, but I would also be on the look out for a machine.
I am making a postage stamp quilt, and since my mom is in the hospital, I will be taking a needle, and thread with me, and hand sewing.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:06 AM
Power Poster

You can sew your squares together by hand. A lot of antique quilts were sewn by hand. Make your stitches small and secure the ends of your stitching with a backstitch. Try to keep your seam allowances even so when you sew your rows together the seams match.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:26 AM

There's more to quilting than just sewing. Before I start sewing, I like to have an idea what I want to make. My first quilt project was a tote bag. What do you what to make?
Then after you decide what you want to make, it's time to think about what to make it out of. There's all kinds of fabrics, but again it depends on what you want to make. Something else other than the kind of fabric to consider is the color/colors you want to use. Picking out the fabrics is one of my favorite things about quilting.
Sewing is part of the process, but it helps to have a project in mind first. Then the next step would be to gather your supplies for the project.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:47 AM

i have cotton fabric in blues/ greens/ pinks flowered spot stripe plain ect and i want a random look hopeing to do small lap quilt i have a idea in my head and have watched loads on u tube
Old 04-07-2013, 06:37 AM

were can i but square template from plz
Old 04-07-2013, 06:37 AM

You have a project in mind and the fabric. Now you want to pick out a pattern for the lap quilt. The pattern will help you determine how you are going to cut the fabric to assemble or piece it together as it's called in the quilter's world. Google easy quilt designs and pick one. My first quilt was a flower fabric larger size block and 2 solid color smaller blocks alternated. Remember whatever pattern you pick, simple is your friend. The fewer pieces you have to cut and match together, the less complex the project. Less complex does not mean it will not be beautiful. It just increases the odds the project will be completed, and you will enjoy it. You will have a lap quilt you made with your own 2 hands.

Last edited by berryberry; 04-07-2013 at 06:49 AM.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:57 AM

was thinking of basic 4 square pattern i dont no were to get template to cut squares from my scrap materal ive found hexgon shape but dont like the shape and looks fiddly thought square be easy
Old 04-07-2013, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
Go to Youtube and type in 'Jenny Doan' and watch a few of her videos. She has very easy tutorials. Or watch 'Beginner's quiltings'. Good luck. I agree - take beginner's class!
I love Jenny's tutorials!!! She's a great place for you to start! The only problem with her videos is that she makes it look sooooo easy! lol Good Luck. I am a newbie as well, and I love her videos. Great recommendation!
Old 04-07-2013, 07:21 AM

You can make your own square template with a ruler and some paper or cardstock . Just measure and cut your template out carefully, and measure again when you've cut it out. Easy peasy.

You might want one template for cutting (size of pieces you'll cut) and one for sewing (size of piece minus the seam allowances -- and maybe one that is minus just one seam allowance for sewing the first set together). When I make templates, I mark on both sides what size they are and what they are for -- for example, "5.5 inches, for cutting."