Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts in the movie Lincoln????? >

Quilts in the movie Lincoln?????

Quilts in the movie Lincoln?????

Old 04-07-2013, 05:33 PM

I don't know either, but we bought the DVD so I'm going to have fun freeze-framing!!! Funny side note...when we saw the movie in the theatre, my husband says..."Wow...nice quilt!" I say "huh... sush...
I'm looking at Tommy Lee Jones"!!
Old 04-07-2013, 07:06 PM

thanks for info!!!!
more Biographies to look at:
Old Patchwork Quilts and the Women Who Made Them, Stitched From the Soul Quilts from the Antebellum South
Always There: The African American Presence in Quilts, The Influence of Women and Quilts on American Society
The Quilts that Mrs. Keckley Made, The American Quilt. Check them out if interested
Old 04-08-2013, 03:07 AM

I find this thread absolutely fascinating and have followed the links to some of the articles and read them. I just downloaded Elizabeth Keckley's autobiography free from Amazon on my Kindle. I look forward each morning to reading the posts here and little did I expect when I logged on this morning I would be transported into the 1800's American history. How wonderful!
Old 04-08-2013, 03:25 AM
Power Poster

I haven't seen the movie yet but thanks for the link.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by lfty298 View Post
Hi Bebe -
I think I remember 2 also - one on the president's bed or maybe a wall hanging? the 2nd - much clearer, was on Thaddeus Stevens' bed. That was pretty simple - Ohio Stars arranged as 9 patches and then each large 9 patch (of stars and plain blocks) were separated by wide sashing. It looked like it was kind of silky fabric - and maybe more of a comforter than an actual quilt - but I can be wrong on that memory. I am thinking of making that quilt too. I looked online to see if there was any collection of Stevens' possession. His house and office in Lancaster Pa are preserved - but there are no interior pictures that I could find.
And I have a question. I am reading Elizabeth Keckley's autobiography (available free on Google Books) and she mentions her system of dress making several times. Does anyone know what she is referring to? I wonder if she was working on standardized patterns? Also, no mention of sewing machines. I know they were pretty wide spread by the turn of the century - but I thought they were in use much earlier in the 1800's.
Lefty
Thank you for mentioning the free book. I just downloaded it.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:49 AM

My husband said, "There's another quilt for you to do, honey." when we watched the movie. Always looking out for me...
Old 04-08-2013, 06:19 AM

Wow, thanks for the links. I am amazed she paid $1,200 for her freedom. It boggles the mind now a days. Can't even imagine how much that would be in todays dollars.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:48 AM

Good morning. I also do stained glass, besides quilting. I was watching a movie and there was a pretty stained glass piece in a scene. I wanted to make it so I rented the DVD and paused that scene and I sat down and drew the pattern. Maybe this would help. I haven't seen the movie Lincoln yet but now I'm curious. Hope this helps.
gadglady
Old 04-08-2013, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter View Post
I find this thread absolutely fascinating and have followed the links to some of the articles and read them. I just downloaded Elizabeth Keckley's autobiography free from Amazon on my Kindle. I look forward each morning to reading the posts here and little did I expect when I logged on this morning I would be transported into the 1800's American history. How wonderful!
What an amazing woman to bring such beauty out of such misery.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:58 AM

You are right that sewing machines were in use early in the 1800's.