Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do I sew triangle on to rectangle? Help please >

How do I sew triangle on to rectangle? Help please

How do I sew triangle on to rectangle? Help please

Old 04-08-2013, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Treasureit View Post
I must not have been very clear with my information. The drawing I show has the FINISHED sizes shown. When I follow your directions, and some of the others ...it comes out too small. When I add a 1/2" to each piece it comes out too long. and the triangle is not equal to the rectangle.

I really appreciate all the attempts! Maybe I am just not following the directions right. I will try again today to see why this isn't working for me.
You are doing fine, my small rectangle is 1/4 inch too wide to sew corner to corner, also I forgot to tell you not to line the edges of the small piece up with the larger piece. Match one corner of the small rectangle and large rectangle, then twist the small rectangle somewhat diagonally until opposite corner is 2 1/4 inches from end. At this point the two corners that you have been working with should align with the edges of the larger rectangle. Now sew corner to corner. Sorry I am not better at explaining things.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:26 PM

why not cut apart your finished paper pattern and add your 1/4 inch seam allowances.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:35 AM

What I'm seeing is a 7"X 7.5" rectangle with a 7"X 2.5" flying geese unit. That is what you graphed out. Now, is this what you want the finished unit size to be or are you needing to add one-fourth seam all around?
Old 04-09-2013, 04:11 AM
Banned

why not go back to the old way. do your drawing, add 1/4 seam allowaves, make a template and cut them out.
sometime the faster way is not the best. templates do still work rather than trying to cut strips and sew and trim etc etc etc.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by sewbelle52 View Post
What I'm seeing is a 7"X 7.5" rectangle with a 7"X 2.5" flying geese unit. That is what you graphed out. Now, is this what you want the finished unit size to be or are you needing to add one-fourth seam all around?
This will be the finished size...as you stated. I need to know how to cut and sew the pieces so they come out straight and fit. But you just gave me an idea...to search for flying geese...I didn't see that!
Old 04-09-2013, 04:36 AM

I think Holice and MargaretH have the simplest solution. Cut out your paper pattern that you have drawn, lay it on some cardboard or something like that, draw on the 1/4 seam allowances, cut that out and you've got your pattern.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:43 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

OH be sure to post your finished pieces when you are done ..
Old 04-09-2013, 07:59 AM
Power Poster

No help here, I get pretty befuddled on that sort of thing. I about have to try as I read instructions.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:30 AM

I know this may sound weird but could you sew 1/2 tri's to the rectangle or would it mess up the design?
Old 04-09-2013, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
No help here, I get pretty befuddled on that sort of thing. I about have to try as I read instructions.
Thanks! That is what I have been doing. I knew Jan was really smart from reading her posts and suspected she had the solution, but I couldn't see it.

Then when a later post said to do a template...I tried that and couldn't figure out how to line it up to sew....then I saw how it had the right angles and looked like 1/2 a kite...that Jan was talking about. So then a made the template double (like a kite) and it works perfectly. I thought Jan had forgotten to add the seam allowance, but she was right again on size.

Sometimes my brain does not think well in abstract and this, for me, is very abstract. Thank you Jan, and all of you...you made me think...made me prove you right or wrong, y trying each direction. I will add a picture of what I have later... have to leave for an appointment.