Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Adoption saying for on a quilt >

Adoption saying for on a quilt

Adoption saying for on a quilt

Old 04-09-2013, 10:23 AM

Adoption is very close to my heart, so, my suggestion is that you don't draw attention to the fact that the child IS adopted. It kind of creates a "different but equal" feeling..... "you're a member of our family now, sort of"........ be careful!
Old 04-09-2013, 10:34 AM

Less is more. The gifting of the this quilt will speak louder than any words you could place on it. Life has so many twists and turns and words can take on meanings for differnet people at different times in their lives. What a sweet testament of their friendship with this gift of a quilt.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:56 AM

I have 2 adopted sons, please just say 'for___' or 'made with love for___', or not anything written at all. The hearts are a nice idea. If you have people just sign their name in the hearts, I think that is very nice. Not everyone will know what to say, and a signature is easy. It is not necessary to draw attention to the 'adopted' part. Believe me, she is well aware of the fact. My congratulations to the whole family.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:04 AM

Not the exact situation, but I once saw a birth announcement for families who had suffered infertility, and it said "We had a dream, and our dream came true." Simple, moving, and doesn't make her feel "other" (which was a bugaboo for me as an adopted kid).
Old 04-09-2013, 03:34 PM

I saw this quilt with the feathers and circles.
It is third picture down.
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/tag...t/interesting/

What do you think? I could have circles in her favorite colors- and I'm thinking my daughter and her could help with it. Make it more special. Place for the signatures and leave sayings off of it. That was great advise. I would never have thought of it.

Input please-
Old 04-09-2013, 03:56 PM

I agree no mention of being adopted, just love to DD
Old 04-09-2013, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingnewbie View Post
Not the exact situation, but I once saw a birth announcement for families who had suffered infertility, and it said "We had a dream, and our dream came true." Simple, moving, and doesn't make her feel "other" (which was a bugaboo for me as an adopted kid).
What a beautiful quote!
Old 04-09-2013, 05:01 PM

"Welcome home"
Old 04-09-2013, 05:58 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by KarenR View Post

What do you think? I could have circles in her favorite colors- and I'm thinking my daughter and her could help with it. Make it more special. Place for the signatures and leave sayings off of it. That was great advise. I would never have thought of it.

Input please-
I love this idea -- especially just the signatures without sayings. However, are you thinking of a whole cloth quilt with circles quilted in different colors of thread as in the photo? I'm afraid if you use fabric in different colors for the signatures, the signatures may not show very well and also may not hold up well over time. Also, it's best to do signatures on individual pieces of fabric that are supported by ironed-on freezer paper and bound by painter's tape (so people do not sign into the seam allowance). They probably would not turn out well if you try to have people sign an already-quilted quilt. Signature quilts are generally pieced to accommodate this process.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by KarenR View Post

Input please-
I really like that quilt and the idea with just the signatures. I think that would be wonderful!